[NL2-NL10] NL10 Top set

• Skeat
      Skeat
      Bronze
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($1.20)
      BB ($7.05)
      UTG ($11.90)
      MP ($9.05)
      CO ($10.30)
      Hero (Button) ($10.80)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K, K
      1 fold, MP calls $0.10, CO bets $0.40, Hero raises to $1.20, 3 folds, CO calls $0.80

Flop: ($2.65) K, 4, 9 (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($2.65) J (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $1.70, CO calls $1.70

River: ($6.05) 2 (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $4, CO raises to $7.40 (All-In), Hero calls $3.40

Total pot: $20.85 | Rake: $1

Results below:
      Hero had K, K (three of a kind, Kings).
      CO had K, A (flush, Ace high).
      Outcome: CO won $19.85

Villain
      vpip/pfr/3bet/AF/hands
      14/14/12.5/3/51

Is it ok to slowplay a good hand like this?
      Just want to extract max value.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

It can't be bad really, but you do need to think about what you're trying to accomplish. Two facts:

1/ It's true that this board should be scary for the range of hands he calls with out of position, mostly being middling pocket pairs that should be scared of the K, likely AQ too. Some tags will peel one of off anyway, others will fold every time.

2/ That said, most tight players aren't going to do anything with these hands anyway unless they improve somehow, so the value of check back the turn to see them fold to a turn bet anyway is kinda lower than most people expect.

I'll usually bet small anyway like $1.2 when in doubt, since i'll be bluffing in those spots a lot against the player to my right that i plan on 3-betting quite often. Might induce peels from pocket pairs, rarely some bluff raises, and if he has Kx+ he's not folding anyway.

As played turn is fine and river is unfortunate, but you obviously can't fold at that point.

I'd make a note that he check/called TPTK on the turn again, we're not sure exactly what it tells us for now since it might have been a lot of things (him having a nut draw, him thinking we're very strong or very weak preflop BUvsCO, him thinking we would have bet air on the flop, him not thinking anything at all and being very passive, him being trappy...), but it tells us something: we apparently shouldn't expect to be able to narrow his range toward weaker hands just because he didn't bet in such spots after we checked back the flop.

Hope it helps.