Need users from England, term paper survey

• Gisinator
      Gisinator
      Bronze
      Hi,

I am writing on a term paper covering the prestige of different accents of English in England. That is, what do people think about American, Canadian, Australien, ... English. I created a tiny website and need users from England to participate. It only takes 1 minute to vote and you don't have to provide your real name or email address.

Based on a short sound example (flash player required), you decide how intelligent, prestigious and pleasant the speaker sounds to you. You'll be asked in what type of house you expect him to live in and what job you think he has. That's it.

If you're a native speaker from England, I would appreciate your help. Click on

http://www.accents.coolix.com/

to participate.

Thank you very much in advance,

Gisinator
  • 10 replies
    • Fiszy
      Fiszy
      Bronze
      Done.
    • Gisinator
      Gisinator
      Bronze
      Thanks Fiszy. Have you clicked on "Submit"? Somehow I have no new votes since I created this thread. Seems like it didn't really work.

May I ask you to try it again?
    • Fiszy
      Fiszy
      Bronze
      Done it again. The first time there was no confirmation page, but now there is.
    • BllackWolf
      BllackWolf
      Bronze
      I've done it a few times, but there is no option for 'unintelligent', only 'intelligence' twice.

Also when you say 'owner-occupied' do you mean 'home-owner'?
    • Gisinator
      Gisinator
      Bronze
      Thanks Fiszy and BllackWolf.

Ups, made a couple of mistakes in the intelligent section, they're fixed now.

Also changed owner-occupied to home-owner.
    • clarkie1989
      clarkie1989
      Bronze
      done
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Intersting paper. Just reminded me of a study that was discussed when I was in school (a few years ago now lol). An examination of the english being spoken in cities throughout the world was undertaken in an attemt to discover where the english language was spoken most correctly.

The answer suprised the researchers ....... none of the cities in England were mentioned in the top 5.

The city in the world where the english language was found to be spoken most correctly was ......... Dublin. I was born and went to school there which is why we were so interested in the study.

No idea now who the researchers were.

I would be happy to take part in your reserach but being Irish I wouldn't want to skew the results without your prior approval lol.

If you would be happy for me to take part just pm me and I can do it for you.

Cheers
    • Fiszy
      Fiszy
      Bronze
      ^ I agree that Irish-English is the best English in terms of pronunciation. It's so much clearer than any kind of English-English. I always recommend learners of English to study Irish or Swedish pronunciation instead of American or British. I find that speaking in a mild Irish accent to someone who struggles with phonetic English to be ideal for communication as well.
    • peche025
      peche025
      Bronze
      I can't connect to the site, it keeps timing out

Edit: Maybe it's a problem with the firewall or something...but I still can't get on the site.
    • Gisinator
      Gisinator
      Bronze
      Weird, I just tried to visit the site and it worked. Hopefully just a temporal problem when you got the timeout...