[NL2-NL10] 77 in SB facing BU Steal - NL10

• woopstash
      woopstash
      Bronze
      This is one of these situations I find myself in: Pocket pair in the blinds facing a possible button steal.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $2.31
      MP3:
      $11.05
      CO:
      $10.00
      BU:
      $11.03
      SB (Hero):
      $12.12
      BB:
      $10.17
      UTG2:
      $3.85
      MP1:
      $13.45

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7, 7.
      CO posts deadblind, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0.10, MP3 folds, CO raises to $0.45, BU folds, Hero calls $0.40, 2 folds.

Flop: ($1.1) J, J, 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $1.10, Hero raises to $2.20, CO calls $1.10.

Turn: ($5.5) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($5.5) 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.00, CO calls $3.00.

Final Pot: $11.5.

Results follow:

CO shows two pairs, jacks and eights(8s 8d).
      Hero shows two pairs, jacks and sevens(7s 7h).

CO wins with two pairs, jacks and eights(8s 8d).

I have a bunch of questions/comments:
      - Villain's stats seemed respectable over 20 or so hands. No reason to peg him as a fish or LAG.

- Without reads, would this be a better 3bet spot or just call simply for set value?

If I cold call, then BB could come along which would be good for my implied odds as both opponents have full stacks. But on the other hand, I'd have to play the hand OOP in a possible 3 way pot. Simply folding a pocket pair could be too nitty against a button steal.

If I 3-bet, I can tighten the buttons range, but will then have to play a medium pocket OOP.

- Donking vs check/raise vs check/fold

The check/min raise on this board seemed like a good idea at the time, but really, the only way I'm folding out better hands is if I can convince the guy that I have a J.
      What would be the best option?

I check the turn and after he checks, I peg him for having overcards. I have a feeling I'm ahead but decide to bet instead of check to set the price. If he has over cards, he may still call as it looks kind of weak, but its enough that if he has a good hand, and raises, I can comfortably fold. Checking just forces me to make a difficult river decision.
  • 3 replies
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Hi,

Without reads, would this be a better 3bet spot or just call simply for set value?

I would always call. You can't 3bet 77 for value, and don't want to turn your hand into a bluff because a multiway pot with MP2, CO, and possibly BB is the ideal situation for your hand.

Donking vs check/raise vs check/fold
      I would tend to check/fold the flop. His bet sizing seems very strong, and if CO has overcards he still has decent equity and second barrel opportunities. Check/raising is a pretty bad idea here.

I check the turn and after he checks, I peg him for having overcards. I have a feeling I'm ahead but decide to bet instead of check to set the price. If he has over cards, he may still call as it looks kind of weak, but its enough that if he has a good hand, and raises, I can comfortably fold. Checking just forces me to make a difficult river decision.
      He will never have overcards. If he floated your flop raise with overcards (unlikely), he would prob just bet the turn.

If you have some amazing read, and are convinced he is bluffing here, check/call is the better play. Betting because you don't want to make a difficult decision isn't a good reason for betting.
    • woopstash
      woopstash
      Bronze
      Thanks for your analysis. It seems everything I thought I knew was a myth haha.

Valid points. Have since started using this thinking in my game and seems to make sense and possibly saving me some cashola.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by johnbeattie85
      Hi,

Without reads, would this be a better 3bet spot or just call simply for set value?

I would always call. You can't 3bet 77 for value, and don't want to turn your hand into a bluff because a multiway pot with MP2, CO, and possibly BB is the ideal situation for your hand.

Donking vs check/raise vs check/fold
      I would tend to check/fold the flop. His bet sizing seems very strong, and if CO has overcards he still has decent equity and second barrel opportunities. Check/raising is a pretty bad idea here.

He will never have overcards. If he floated your flop raise with overcards (unlikely), he would prob just bet the turn.

If you have some amazing read, and are convinced he is bluffing here, check/call is the better play. Betting because you don't want to make a difficult decision isn't a good reason for betting.
      Tho I disagree that villain will often bet the turn with overcards, the rest is fine as usual. Nice post johnbeattie85.

Hope it helps.