installation not working

• fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      the elephant is not installing properly on my computer. in the middle of the install i am given a message that setup must reboot the computer to continue. i reboot the computer. it starts installing the same thing it was installing before the reboot and asks me to reboot again. ths process keeps on happening till i give up and just click cancel install.
  • 9 replies
    • MDSomers
      MDSomers
      Bronze
      I'm having the same problem. Specifically, the installer attempts to install the Visual C++ run time library and then asks for a reboot. On reboot it attempts to install the library again, before asking for another reboot, and so on ad infinitum.

I cancelled after 3 reboots and installed the run time library directly for the Microsoft site. I then tried the installation package again, with the same result.

I then checked via Control Panel whether it had been installed successfully - and there are three separate listings for the C++ library, one of size 10MB, the other two of around 5MB, which suggests that is has successfully installed once and partially installed twice.

Thoughts:
      - There's a bug in the Microsoft installation package for the C++ runtime library, as it shouldn't have managed to part-install itself three separate times.
      - There's also a bug in the Elephant installation package, as it should check for the presence of the library before attempting to install it.

Is there anything I can do to fix this on my own system or do I need to wait for a new version?

Mark
    • eteris
      eteris
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MDSomers
      I then checked via Control Panel whether it had been installed successfully - and there are three separate listings for the C++ library, one of size 10MB, the other two of around 5MB, which suggests that is has successfully installed once and partially installed twice.
      Well Mark, try to install three times any software like winamp or skype or something else and then check control panel whether there are three separate listings of those programs.
    • MDSomers
      MDSomers
      Bronze
      Why? What would that achieve?
    • eteris
      eteris
      Bronze
      maybe then you would understand that if there is a program in that list it means that program is installed, if there is three different versions it means all three versions differs from each other
    • spartan4498
      spartan4498
      Bronze
      hi , i am also having the same reboot loop while trying to install, it is starting to get on my wick lol. Have checked programs and i have 3 visual c ++ installs in there one for 98MB. Im not v techie type guy so any help would be appreciated
    • MDSomers
      MDSomers
      Bronze
      eteris - a program being in the list does not mean it is installed.

It means that the installation package has lodged an entry in the registry. This can happen multiple times for the same installation package, if the package doesn't do the proper checks first.

Neither does lodging with the register necessarily mean that a full installation is complete.
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      Can a pokerstrategy employee please help us resolve this problem?
    • tequila38360
      tequila38360
      Bronze
      Hi,

I had exactly the same problem, and resolved it by :
      * uninstalling all the visual c++ installations in Control Panel/Programs (I also had 3 different installations)
      * rebooting the pc
      The visual c++ installation should restart correctly

I hope this will help you
      (sorry for my english, I'm french)
    • spartan4498
      spartan4498
      Bronze
      Hi guys, had the same problem, try uninstalling using a revo uninstaller program, this unlike the windows unistaller searches files ect and gets it all of your system, hope it works for you.