Losing spree

• CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      So here's the thing...
      I'm playing FL 0.25/0.50. Well that is not entirely correct. Let me write this again...
      I have been playing FL 0.25/0.50 until today. Why? Because I hit a low at ~90$ and I'll have to move down a level. Don't get me wrong. I have no problem moving down, but I really don't understand what happened.
      So here is a quick sum up...

I joined PokerStrategy almost a year ago and after clearing a 100$ bonus I didn't play anymore due to some non-important issues. Then I started again.
      Now I've been playingr I thought/think so) and I quickly came to a 300$ mark when I moved up a le for a month or so and started with ~100$. First few days I lost about 10$ which was nothing serious. But then my upswing came. I was playing really good (ovel to 0.50/1. I lost 100$ real quick so I moved down. I needed only few days to came up to 300$ mark again. Moved up and this time I lost about 50$ and I moved down again. It wasn't really comfortable for me playing at this limit. Now when I look back I know that I made a mistake, because I changed all tables (I'm playing 4 tables all the time) from 0.25/0.50 to 0.50/1. Didn't do step-by-step as I should do. Well... That frankly doesn't matter anymore, because when I got to 350$ mark I made a cashout. Mistake? Maybe, but I would do it again (I kinda need it). P.S. (I would lost this on 0.50/1 anyway... Right? ;) )
      Played for a few days and I was at 250$. Who would have thought that I reached a peak with 250$... Because something happened...
      I started losing money.
      20$ per day, 10$, 15$,... Then I stop playing for a day, re-read all the articles. Nothing... Still losing.... 4 tables and 2-3 hours a day.
      And today, like I said, I hit a low with little more than 90$.
      1 month of good play and 1 week of bad(?) play and here I am...

I don't really know what to do. Sure, I can post some hands on a forum, but I don't think this will improve my play from (lets say) -20$ to 20$. Sure, I can re-read all the articles again, but I've done this n-times. Was I playing bad all the time and I was just lucky for a few weeks? Or was this week just "unlucky" week? Well I don't think so :) To either...

Any tips for me? Someone had any similar experience with good ending? ;)
      One thing... Please don't say "this downswing" is nothing serous, wait for yada, yada, yada", because I really don't want to read this :D

Oh my... I reached gold status today... And I thought this poker-day couldn't get any worse :D

I'll keep you informed how I'm doing at .15/.30.
  • 33 replies
    • debelinko
      debelinko
      Bronze
      What do you want to hear then? :)

I'm sure that with good bankroll management you'll get over that losing streak eventually.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi CoreySteel!

I had the same experience at the beginning of my poker career. I had an upswing and thought I was playing really good but then I went down again. I asked myself: "what is going on here?" I asked other players in the forum and they recommended to post hands in the sample hands board. That's what I did and what helped me a lot to improve my game. You say you don't think that it will improve your game. Believe me: It's the most important thing you can do because not every situation at the poker tables can be described by an article. Without analyzing your game you will never find any mistakes.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • sismis
      sismis
      Bronze
      I hope you dont go broke before you find NL section :evil:
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      If I go to NL, I'll be broke in 15 minutes :P
    • Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      Originally posted by CoreySteel
      If I go to NL, I'll be broke in 15 minutes :P
      I thought the same thing when I started, but after a couple of months and 10K+ hands of FL with not much to show for it (bankroll wise I was break-even,) I decided to give SSS NL a try and I have never looked back :D

Maybe think about taking your bankroll to the NL10 tables and give it a try. Your $90 gives you 45 buy-ins...you may be surprised at how you do.

IMHO,
      Kknight
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      I didn't go broke... Actually, I'm doing quite fine.
      Lately I was learning a lot. Until now, my learning:playing ratio has been cca 1:2000, but now its... let's say 1:4.

Last week I finally hit 150$ mark (so late due to 2 cash outs :P ), so I moved up a level to 0.25/0.50. I already made ~50 BB in two days. I guess I'm in upswing atm :P

Next goal... 300$ (for the 4th time). Time limit... 3 weeks.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi CoreySteel!

Nice job! But why do you cash out? ;)

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      It was minimal cashout... Let's say that I had to do it :P

But that doesn't matter anymore... I lost half of my money again... Don't know what to do really. I'm posting hands, I'm learning a lot but I'm still losing money.

Look at this graph from 19th of September till today (3rd of October)... So ugly...

• Nogatsira
      Nogatsira
      Bronze
      Just hang on, keep trying to improve, I once was playing NL10 6-max on stars, moved up to NL25 and got like a 14-buyin downswing in only 4k hands. I ran terrible, started playing badly cause of it, ...

Just don't give up, play clear minded, try to improve and you'll get there
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Don't worry! Some losing sessions are normal for every poker player. And you are still in the winning zone. So no reason to get worried. If you keep learning and analyzing your game you will move up again.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Still in winning zone?
      I played good all September... I get from 90$ to 200$. I was building this for whole month. Then I lost 90$ in 4 days. Playing less than 2 hours a day...
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Yup....you started with $90 went up to $200. Then you lost $90 which means you are at $110, right? $110-$90=+$20=winning zone :D

I know that it sucks when you lose $90 in 4 days but unfortunately that's part of the game. I recommend that you read some of our psychology articles - especially the ones which deal with downswings. You will be back on track soon.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Another session, another loss. Now I am at 100$ and I'll move down a level.

It doesn't bother me that I have to go down a level, it doesn't bother me that I suck at poker and/or losing money.
      Thing that bothers me is that I spend 2-3 hours (almost) every day playing/reading/learning poker and I'm still at zero point. (If 50+100$ and being at 90$ is zero point)

I could go to bed at midnight but instead I go playing poker. Like today :)
      But don't get me wrong. I'm not playing tired or something. I just wake up tired :P
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Keep going! You will move up again and benefit from your efforts - sooner or later!

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      I'm back from 2 months without poker. I've learned a lot in meantime.
      Let's see how will this effect my play.
      Wish me luck.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Alright!

Good luck at the tables! :)
      Puschkin81
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      Play your A-game and you should do great!

Good luck!
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Hey Zeffke.

I see you became moderator. That's nice. I really liked reading your thread here in User News section.

Back on track...

Week 000:
      So here are first two days of play (Ok, I played some hands today (Sunday) too). Just for warm up.

Nothing fancy.
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Nice to see you're winning again, but I think your Preflopraise is a bit low compared to your sawflop