Quiz of the week: Playing the Calling Station Postflop in Position

• elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      Hey PokerStrategists,

After covering preflop play against the calling station in the past two quizzes, we will now move on to the first part of postflop play, playing in position.

Making profitable postflop decisions is the most important aspect of playing against a calling station. Placing well-targeted value bets allows you to extract the maximum amount of money from your opponent.

On the contrary, it is a waste money to place bets in unnecessary spots. Betting when you have no outs or fold equity must be avoided at all times.

Test your knowledge in our newest edition of the weekly quiz:

Did you learn much from this week's quiz? Was it too hard or too easy?

Tell us about what you think, and discuss your thoughts on the quiz questions here.
  • 5 replies
    • PetterG2
      PetterG2
      Bronze
      You scored 32 out of 34 possbile points. This corresponds to 94 % !

I checked in hand 4, don't like c-betting with A-high vs two callingstations because they will call with any K, any pocket pair etc. IMO its best to just try to get to showdown for free, hoping to have the best hand. They will call with worse hands, I know, but I rather go for a small pot here and get their money later with a made hand.
      This quiz was tricky, and I had to think twice in some of the hands before making up my mind. Good work on making the quiz, looking forward for the next one ;)
    • harleytopper
      harleytopper
      Bronze
      You scored 31 out of 34 possbile points. This corresponds to 91 % !

Folded on 5 question, what I agree is mistake after reviewing.
    • Jeffers16
      Jeffers16
      Bronze
      First quiz I've done. Great way of learning imo. After doing it a couple of times I managed 30/34 although there are 2 questions I'm not sure about.

Question 2:

Is calling really such a bad option here? On the turn I could check behind to induce a bluff with worse Q or fold if villain bets. I just feel a set or overpair wouldn't raise on such a dry board?

Queston 4:

I would be more inclined to check behind here and hope to see a SD than inflate the pot as PetterG2 said. Seems a better option imo.

Anyway, nice quiz!
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jeffers16
      First quiz I've done. Great way of learning imo. After doing it a couple of times I managed 30/34 although there are 2 questions I'm not sure about.

Question 2:

Is calling really such a bad option here? On the turn I could check behind to induce a bluff with worse Q or fold if villain bets. I just feel a set or overpair wouldn't raise on such a dry board?

Queston 4:

I would be more inclined to check behind here and hope to see a SD than inflate the pot as PetterG2 said. Seems a better option imo.

Anyway, nice quiz!
      Q2: MP2 got an AF of 0.5 which is very low. the player is very passive. When you see agression you can expect a monster.

Q4 : there has been 2 check and you are last to speak. There is also a high scary card on the board you can expect to get low pocket pairs to fold also random cards that might pair on the later streets. So bet/fold is a better option
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      29/42 for 69%. If only I actually played like this, in the heat of the moment, life would be so easy.