Help they want to defraud me

• milto2000
      milto2000
      Bronze
      Today I come this message to my mail

Dear Email Owner,
      Your email address online,has been awarded the BMW grand price award.
      You have therefore been authorised to the sum of 750,000.00 pounds
      and a brand new BMW 2009 X6.You are to contact the BMW registered
      agent via email for further process of claiming your award
      Email:XX[Edited by EagleStar88]
      Sincerely,
      Mrs Taylor Jo.

I think they are professional scammers, Where do I report
  • 5 replies
    • milto2000
      milto2000
      Bronze
      This is the mail that I received

XXX Edited by EagleStar88 [Email address edited out for members protection]
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi milto2000,

It goes without saying to ignore any spam requests such as this. Do not reply to any such mail as by doing so they know your email account is active and will bombard you with god knows what.

I've edited out the email addresses from your posts to protect members.

The general rule is that if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. Also don't reply to any competition results that you haven't actually entered specifically yourself.

In order to report such things, generally you have to report it to the originators server. So e.g. if it came from a hotmail account report it to the spam@hotmail etc. Each provider should have a specific email address which you can report spam on. A quick google search will confirm for you.

Best regards,

Bart
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Is this post really in the right place? :f_biggrin:
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thazar
      Is this post really in the right place? :f_biggrin:
      Good point, well made ;)

Will move into small talk but leave a link so OP can easily find it.

Best regards,

Bart
    • MrEnig
      MrEnig
      Bronze
      yea just report it as a spam.

On top of that, NEVER:

a) never click links "if you do not wish to continue receiving emails from us, please click here" or something like that. By clicking or doing any other kind of requests you just activate the trigger and PROVE that your email is active and you're actually READING spammy emails. You can imagine the consequences :)

b) I'd suggest having pictures DISABLED by default. Major email service providers started offering this feature because it is possible to encrypt viruses into images. Well it is kind of off-the news and so relevant any more, but some spammers are also sometimes sending emails with images, that have unique file names/URL's. In that way, when you open the email and your browser loads the picture, spammers see that the particular image in their database was accessed and then they just need to look up which email address it was sent to. So that's the second way on how they may find out that your email account is active and you are reading spam, and that's a second way on how you can protect yourself, if you have a habit of reading that kind of emails..