[NL2-NL10] NL2 - AK - Button

• Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      Greetings,

I was quite shocked at this play by my opponent. This is a player who I have seen limping with ATo and who I've seen min-raising pre-flop as well. He had a large stack though so he must be doing something right.

He plays tight pre-flop but not overly so. I have not noticed him limp-calling raises before either, not to say he doesn't but I just haven't caught him doing it. I am guessing he may have limped with AK or KQ, or more likely a pocket pair like 99. He may have had QT but not likely.

Anyway, did I play this correctly? I had 2 to 1 to call on the Flop and better than 2 to 1 on the turn. But I don't want to throw my money away either unless I know he makes a habit out of playing aggressive with weak hands.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $2.00
      CO:
      $1.37
      BU (Hero):
      $2.86
      SB:
      $1.03
      BB:
      $2.64
      UTG2:
      $0.90
      MP1:
      $0.70
      MP2:
      $4.54

Preflop: Hero is BU with A, K.
      CO posts deadblind, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.10, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0.08.

Flop: ($0.24) K, J, 9 (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $0.15, MP2 raises to $0.69, Hero calls $0.54.

Turn: ($1.62) 8 (2 players)
      MP2 bets $1.13, Hero folds, MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.62.

Thanks,
      Nav
  • 2 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      If he is passive postflop AF <2, then I would fold on the turn without thought. Butif you think carefully, there are too many hands that beat you (KJ/J9/QT/JJ/99/88/98). Folding turn is probably the right play
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Mostly depends on how aggressive you think that guy is in general. If he can play flushdraws/pair+gutshot hands like that on the flop and continue to bet on a blank turn, you probably need to jam for value at that point. If he's overall very passive you might even be no good right on the flop, so you should find a fold by the turn.

By the way, unless he's psychotic he doesn't take that line with 98/88, and if he is, you can't fold TPTK on that board so you need to decide between 3-betting the flop to call it off and call the flop planning on shoving over a turn bet.

Hope it helps.