Hello, new guy question.

• whytheluckystrike
      whytheluckystrike
      Bronze
      Hi I'm new (Fairly new to Online poker too), started getting into SNG Tournaments a lot recently.

I'm planning to multi-table SNG Tournaments with a bankroll of $300, was thinking of starting around the $2 buy in rate with around 4 tables till I get confident and my bankroll improves.

Now what site should I go with to maximise my opportunities? I currently play Poker Stars and Bet Fair-(plenty of fish but not enough tables). Should I get on FTP? Are there any rakeback/deposit bonus's that I should be aware of that will help?

I'm going to grab Poker Tracker 3 to help me analyse my progress and fix leaks .
      Any other important applications that are a must?

With the ICM Trainer I get around 85%, is this ok? I want to get to at least 95% before I start playing my bankroll, I'm learning everyday so any advice/help is hugely appreciated!

Tom
  • 7 replies
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hello whytheluckystrike,

If you have never had an account with Full Tilt in the past then you can download the software from here if you're looking to receive the free $50 starting capital or from here if you're looking to deposit your own funds.

By using our download link and codes then not only will you receive 27% rakeback but you will also generate PokerStrategy Points that will go towards improving your status level as well.

Kind Regards,
      -Steve
    • whytheluckystrike
      whytheluckystrike
      Bronze
      Thanks for the info!

Is their a place where I can find out the 27% rakeback payout structure and more info in that regard?

Also whats the reason for all these codes (I see them everywhere when googleing info on rakeback, do you guys make some kind of profit from this type of referral (just curious, no offence meant)?

Also, anybody have a favourite book for SNG type games? Reading Collin Moshman's Sit and go Strategy now.

Tom :)
    • Catinthewall
      Catinthewall
      Bronze
      IMHO, if you're used to SNGs, stick with the limit you're on now, or if you've got a solid record, one step up. No idea what size games you've been playing so far, but if you're currently at 50c games or smaller, $2 might be too much pressure psychologically.
      If you're depositing $300, look through the rooms listed, and compare the few 200% up to $600 bonus. That way, you can save the FTP first dep bonus for when you can be eligible for it all.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi whytheluckystrike,

You can find more info regarding Full Tilt rakeback in the following thread:

PokerStrategy, like all affiliates receive a small income stream from each of it's players play on tracked accounts. The difference with PokerStrategy is that it ploughs a large proportion of this income back into player returns in the form of strategy, videos, free coaching sessions with experienced players, ad-hoc events etc.

Full details on the following link:

Hope this helps, good luck with your Sng's and be sure to let us know how you get on.

Best regards,

Bart
    • whytheluckystrike
      whytheluckystrike
      Bronze
      Thanks guys for the information, am I right about this:

I deposit $600 into FTP with the 100% up to $600 bonus.

I need "10,000FPP" to clear the whole $600,

So If I'm joining SnG's that have a rake of 25c I need to play 4 to make my 7FPP's.

I need to play around 50 SnG's at the 25cent rake mark a day for 120 days to make the 10,000FPP mark?

50x$0.25=$12.5 Rake, $12.5x7FPP=87FPP, 87x120days=10,440FPP???

10games/hour, 5 hours/day....

That's some hard grinding...

Are my calculations right and do people actually manage to make all their $600 bonus? Should I put in $600 instead of $300 purely for the bonus?

Right now I play SnG's at the $2/25c mark and am pretty happy with my play but if I want to clear that bonus then is it recommended that I up my stakes and play $5/SnGs to speed up for the bonus, with a BR of $600 I should have more than enough right?

Tom
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by whytheluckystrike
      Thanks guys for the information, am I right about this:

I deposit $600 into FTP with the 100% up to $600 bonus.

I need "10,000FPP" to clear the whole $600,

So If I'm joining SnG's that have a rake of 25c I need to play 4 to make my 7FPP's.

I need to play around 50 SnG's at the 25cent rake mark a day for 120 days to make the 10,000FPP mark?

50x$0.25=$12.5 Rake, $12.5x7FPP=87FPP, 87x120days=10,440FPP???

10games/hour, 5 hours/day....

That's some hard grinding...

Are my calculations right and do people actually manage to make all their $600 bonus? Should I put in $600 instead of $300 purely for the bonus?

Right now I play SnG's at the $2/25c mark and am pretty happy with my play but if I want to clear that bonus then is it recommended that I up my stakes and play $5/SnGs to speed up for the bonus, with a BR of $600 I should have more than enough right?

Tom
      Hi Tom,

Yes your calcs look correct to me, each FTP point is worth $0.06 cleared bonus, so 10k FTP to clear all $600.

$1 tournament/sng fee = 7 FTP points so yes 4x$2+0.25's for 7 FTP points.

It would be a seriously hard grind at the $2 sngs, and possibly un-doable, given that you will need regular breaks to play at your optimum.
      You could of course play higher buyins (given the recommended BRM of 50xBI with a $600/$650 bankroll), but only if you are confident at the higher levels and I think you are wise to start off small, learn/refine your game before moving up.
      I would say that the standard of $5's are very similar to $2's, better rake ratio & you would be rolled for them, you could try a few and see how you get on. Always drop down if you feel your game isn't watertight enough though.

Recommend a BRM of between 50xBI & 100xBI (buyin's) on sng's due to the variance. The higher the better obviously.

The bonus is usually given out in increments (possibly 10% a time or something similar) so you could just clear as much as possible and not worry about clearing the whole lot. Please check with Full Tilt support first though to ensure that this will be the case, it's been a while since I did mine ;)

I have managed to clear most of the various ad-hoc bonuses that I earnt, but chasing the bonuses can be a major leak. I pulled out of clearing one massive bonus because I was chasing too much, putting in too much volume when I wasn't at my best and it was affecting my game. Concentrate on your game first & foremost and the bonus is just that.. a bonus on top of your standard game.

Similarly, as a PokerStrategy member you would receive 27% rakeback on your tournament/sng fees, however this is unlikely to start until after you have cleared the bonuses, so again just forget it and it will come as a nice surprise in the future :)

mmm think I covered your questions in amongst my other ramblings, if not or any further questions, don't hesitate to shout. We're all very friendly and supportive here in the community ;)

Best regards,

Bart
    • whytheluckystrike
      whytheluckystrike
      Bronze
      Cheers, that was an extremely helpful response!

Think I will just put the bonus at the back of my mind for the time being and stick to my comfort zone with regard to stakes.

Do you use any tracking software to analyse your game?

I'm really interested in Poker Tracker 3, looks really helpful.
      Is it the right choice, are there any other applications that could be a help? I've heard good things about SNG Wizard but am still unsure on what to get.

Looking forward to becoming part of the community!

Tom

EDIT:

Think I may go for HEM over Poker Tracker 3, looks a bit more my cup of tea. I read the thread on PT3 VS HEM and its still hard to decide.

I see SitNGo Wizard is an ICM calculator/analyser, but for $99 I'm sure if its worth it.