[NL2-NL10] NL5 AQ(sb), oop

• TetraQuark
      Known players:

0,02/0,05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:spade: , Q:spade:
      UTG2 raises to $0,20, 6 folds, Hero calls $0,15.

Flop: ($0,42) A:heart: , T:club: , 7:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG2 bets $0,30, Hero calls $0,30.

Turn: ($1,02) 6:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG2 bets $0,65, Hero calls $0,65.

River: ($2,32) 7:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG2 checks.

Final Pot: $2,32

Here I am just trying to keep the pot small ... Is this the best way or should I take the initiative on the flop myself?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

While keeping the pot small has merit that's just not how you should think in general. The real question is what does he have in his range and how can we extract value with TP2K out of position?

And the answer is if we bet out against a tag that just open-raised from UTG on AT7, he'll most likely fold most hands we beat and continue only with stuff that has good equity against our hand anyway, think AK/AT/sets or some kind of combodraw. So check/calling to let him bet whatever worse hands he want to represent the A with is usually a better plan.

On the turn both donking out and check/calling again have merit, based on what you think he'll do with the draws he happened to have in that spot. If you think he'll take the free card with them betting is fine, if you think he'll bet them again anyway there is no need for you to get out of your way by donking. Note that the value we get from Ax hand is slim at that point since we only beat AJ while he can have ATs/AQ/AK too.

Hope it helps.