[NL20-NL50] NL25 Rush AQs busted flush draw

• robpettitt
      Trying to get the hang here of playing nut flush draws on the flop and turn, then on the river when busted.

Preflop I am OOP to a min raise from EP and a flat from the BU, so not a pretty spot and I elect to flat call. Folding (obviously) not an option for 1bb and I don't like the squeeze play here either with little info.

I do have some stats, UTG2 is VPIP13/PFR6 on a sample size of 47 hands so a TAG. BU is a 6/2 so a Rock with a sample size of 52. Again not pretty with AQs OOP.

So I flop the nut flush draw and gutshot straight draw and I elect to donk. Original raiser flats and the Rock folds.

Turn is an interesting card. I don't think it helps me at all at this point although might give me some further (not clean) outs. So I bet out again and when I get flatted for the second time I know I am beat then and need to hit the flush.

I miss everything, question is should I b/f or try to check down for showdown value? I figure if I check my busted draw is obvious and will get pushed off, so elect to b/f which was quite easy when the AI came after a PFR and two flats.

I am looking for advice on whether I played the draw properly, in particular when it is busted by the river.

Many thanks!

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      BB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q, A.
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 raises to $0.50, 4 folds, BU calls $0.50, SB folds, Hero calls $0.25.

Flop: ($1.6) K, 2, T (3 players)
      Hero bets $1.00, UTG2 calls $1.00, BU folds.

Turn: ($3.6) Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.00, UTG2 calls $2.00.

River: ($7.6) 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.25, UTG2 raises to $16.03(All-In), Hero folds, UTG2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $10.85.
  • 2 replies
    • awishformore
      I would bet bigger on both flop and turn.

If Villain has a high river aggression, I c/c river instead of b/f, because there are a lot of busted draws, not just in our own range.
    • Kaitz20
      you can also c/r flop and trying to get all-in on the flop, although leading out is also fine
      turn bet is fine, but since you now have showdown value you can also c/c
      I would likely c/c or c/f river
      hard him to call with worse hands or fold better ones