UTG ($10.64)
      Hero ($11.09)
      UTG+2 ($10.20)
      MP1 ($5.49)
      MP2 ($5.44)
      CO ($0.72)
      BTN ($5.82)

Dealt to Hero K:club: A:heart:

fold, Hero raises to $0.40, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls $0.40, fold, fold

FLOP ($0.95) 4:heart: J:heart: K:heart:

Hero bets $0.90, BTN calls $0.90

TURN ($2.75) 4:heart: J:heart: K:heart: 8:spade:

Hero bets $1.70, BTN calls $1.70

RIVER ($6.15) 4:heart: J:heart: K:heart: 8:spade: T:club:

Hero bets $2.85

1. I felt compelled to bet the river because of his stack. I think theres no point checking and giving up our FE, because if he bet, we sort of have to make a crying call anyway? Although one could say we are surely beat if he bets the river after we check.

2. Would probably have given up if he raised on the turn all in. Would it have been correct to do so?
  • 2 replies
    • justkyle88
      im not sure about river as you have played it cause that card hits alot of his range.

Another way we could play this would be to shove turn. His stack is ugly cause its not big enough to get all in quick enough and not small enough to get it allin say on the flop.

Im guessing just pot every street if not over pot turn. Max fold equity and we dnt see that ugly river.
    • MaestroOfZerg

I'm a bit confused. Why are we even talking about fold equity considering he's a fish with half a stack and we have TPTK with the nut redraw? If he has a worse top pair we're ahead and don't want him to fold, if he has a 1-heart flushdraw it's also in our best interest to rope him in and hopefully we both hit it in the process. If he has a hand that beats TPTK to begin with I don't believe he's ever folding it, even on the river for that price.

1. We're not necessarily beat if we check the river and he bets it, he could very well have some busted one-card heart draw and most fish aren't likely to valuebet worse than a flush, which actually polarizes their range and makes it easier for us to bluff-catch. Some of them will bet anything once you check so it might look like they're valuebetting thinnish with two pairs or something. That said I still prefer shoving myself unless I have enough reasons to believe he's capable of bluffing when i check to him.

2. I don't think so. You'll be getting too good odds to call it off with top pair and the nut redraw unless you put him exactly on flushes, which is sort of a stretch against every fish but the more passive ones. You'll see people suddenly go nuts because they "improved" on the turn somehow with ThXh or KQ with a heart or something like that.

Hope it helps.