From SSS to SNG Legend

• fordz08
      fordz08
      Bronze
      Hi all.well after playing SSS up to NL200 have decided is time for change to sng.after fulltilt removed SSS tryed a couple other sites and just didnt feel right so have changed over to sng.starting at $5.50 sng's,over small sample of 137 sng I am currently running at 22.4% ROI and 42.3% ITM using Holdem manager.after starting really badly and going down 30 BI using poker tracker 3 and no clear way of finding leaks decided to download Holdem manager after watching a few vids from chenny and the nose.worked hard on ICM trainer and continual training and reading phil gordans little green book.as you can probably see from results have now clawed all lost money and have now moved in to testing out $11 sng at fulltilt."Have found players to bad to really bad with only a few regulars.I am playing beetween 6 and 9 tables mostly.I have a negative ROI of -4.1 over 29 sng but mostly from being unlucky with me having best hand pre flop and getting sucked out.So Will endeavour to keep blog updated as best I can as beleive best way to learn and keep mental side intact.will post interesting hands and updated graphs.cheers.Fordz
  • 9 replies
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      hi fordz,

GL with your sng career. remember to stick to good BRM because the swings in SnGs can be much heavier than SSS.

<3
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Originally posted by lessthanthreee
      hi fordz,

GL with your sng career. remember to stick to good BRM because the swings in SnGs can be much heavier than SSS.

<3
      +1

SNG variance tilted me hard. Keeping your head up when your roll is being decimated is crucial and is something I couldn't do. Having a solid understanding of ICM and having a good push/fold game is what makes you money!

All the best :)
    • arisko
      arisko
      Bronze
      Nice start. I don't wanna be "that guy", but if you use capital letters at the start of each sentence and maybe split posts up in paragraphs it's a lot more pleasant to read :)
    • fordz08
      fordz08
      Bronze
      Thanks for your comments and will try to make blog little easier to read.(thanks less then three) :)

Had a real up and down day today with some sick bad beats on the bubble.Once I suss out how to post hands from holdem will add them.

So down around $70 after losing more then winning playing $11 normals,some 6.5 turbos and MTT and a few $5 dollar normal SNG.

I dont really tilt much so have a pretty solid mental game I think mainly thanks to SSS which was so very swingy. think my biggest loss in a day playing SSS was around $265 I think roughly so makes $70 look pretty good.

Have started with low bankroll of $500 to really push my self to improve as sometimes got a bit lazy with SSS as was basically push or fold. Have heard sng can have very bad variance and after donking of my 30 BI at the start have really started to enjoy playing actual poker.

I think one of my biggest problems is still on the bubble as my plan is to always be mostly aggressive with an average stack and playing around top 30% of hands with a Huge stack.
      Currently I an running p-
      16.9% finishes in 4th position.
      12.1% in 3rd
      13.5% in 2nd
      13.5% in 1st

total ROI of 7.5% and ITM 39.1% from 207 sng.

I think one of my biggest problems today was the fact i played Turbos and normals together which didnt work to well as was pushing to light on normals and ended up losing out.

Goal from now stick to Normals even though the first 20 minutes feels like my brain is going to fry of brain numbing boredom.

Secondly learn how to post graphs and hands using Holdem Manager.

Thirdly watch a couple vids and maybe check out the stox poker deal through fulltilt.

cheers.out
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      Originally posted by fordz08
      Thirdly watch a couple vids and maybe check out the stox poker deal through fulltilt.
      might wanna note that stoxpoker is shutting down because of the stoxtrader cheating allegations. i think the shutdown date is may 1st and they move everything to cardrunners.

just a heads up :) good luck with the grind sir
    • fordz08
      fordz08
      Bronze
      Heres my latest update.Have been running pretty average over last week or so

tryed $11 sng and got smashed,running real bad.after rechecking hands found was ahead preflop as usual and kept getting lucked out when favourite.

It must be going to change for me sooner or later so am back playing $5.5 sng till I get to $800 then will try again.

I am running real tight BR as dont like to tilt when i lose a few games.

should already be playing $11 sng as BR is currently at $750 but want to have a big backstop as my luck hasnt been the greatest at $11 tables.

I am still running good on $5.5 sng with ROI 22% and ITM 40.2% so have been slowly building my bankroll.

Would post graphs and some of the sick bad beats i have had at $11 dollar tables but still unable to figure out how to do it.

Tryed to copy and paste graph from HEM but wont show up when trying to paste also hand coverter not working so unable to post.

If anyone Knows any simple ways to post hands and graphs please let me know as would really add to blog. :tongue:
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      to post a graph, you need to upload to something like imageshack.us and then post the link here.

for posting hands, open the replayer with the hud loaded, on the top right, you should see a "button" for hand history. that will pop up the HH window on the side. click on the "2+2" button and then you can just paste the HH in the post editor.
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      impressive ROI on the 5s fordz. are you playing normal speed or turbos???
    • fordz08
      fordz08
      Bronze
      I have been playing normal speeds with between 6 and 8 tables.

Played a turbo $2 dollar rebuy the other day and finished in 5th position winning $156 dollars and taking bankroll over $900. Got unlucky with ATo vs KJo with villan landing J on flop.

Still not a bad return on $2 dollars, have played 3 other tourneys since and fiinished ITM in 2 of them finishing just after bubble.

This weeks Goal is to play a few more tourneys and hopefully turn corner on $11 sng.

If $11 dollar sng dont work out will stick to grinding $5.5 and using profits to buy in to Tourneys and begin learning more about tourney play as that is where alot of the profits are long term.