my first big buyin tourney, $850.....help?

• twoturntables
      twoturntables
      Bronze
      Hi there,

I have been lucky enough to win a seat for a game in 2 weeks in the New Zealand Poker champs.

Ive been playing online 2 yrs and maybe 1 or two live tournies(45players down to 20players) per week often with the same players.

Even after all this time im just about breakeven online and something like $2.5k up in cash and live games.

I won the seat playing the best performers of the year. Most of the money ive wonn came in $500 or $300's playing 10wk final events.

I seem to do ok when there is a large field40+ and only 3 prizes. I focus on the game, my relative stack etc and if I lose im not upset and am pretty happy with my decisions if the cards didnt work.

I like to play pretty tight until I hit a strong hand and try to get a few chips ahead. I love holding strong cards and betting. Correct strategy requires me to fold often, fold when resistence is there.

I guess im concerned i will be a bit of a window, and am unsure about palying hands like 910 j10 jq kj suited. especially late in the tournament.

Id really love some feedback from anyone regarding any aspect of playing the first big one. I obviously would like to win it lol
  • 1 reply
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi twoturntables,

I don't feel my own game is good enough to provide advice, but we have many hugely experienced tournament players in the community who I'm sure will offer some help/advise shortly.

We also have the coaching sessions including mtt that run each week that might help as you can ask questions to the coach whilst he plays and/or they explain as situations arise.

I just wanted to reply and say congrats on your Seat, nice work. Let us know how you get on.

Best regards,

Bart