[NL2-NL10] NL4 KJs

• arisko
      arisko
      Bronze
      Hi! I just went from FR to SH this evening so this is a hand from my first session. I'm still a little bit insecure when it comes to 3betting so I make some mistakes and call when I should fold or 3bet. This is my first hand posting on these forums so be gentle :) please tell me if I posted it wrong or if there's anything I can improve on the actual posting of the hand.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $5,02
      BU:
      $1,42

0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with K:diamond: , J:diamond:
      3 folds, BU raises to $0,16, Hero calls $0,14, BB folds.

Flop: ($0,36) J:club: , 7:diamond: , 8:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0,20, Hero raises to $0,60, BU raises to $1,26 (All-In), Hero calls $0,66.

Turn: ($2,88) 9:heart:
      River: ($2,88) 6:diamond: (1 players)

Final Pot: $2,88

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of jacks (Kd Jd)
      BU shows a pair of jacks (Jh 3d)

Hero wins with a pair of jacks (Kd Jd)

EDIT: MY 100th POST YAAAY
  • 3 replies
    • LudiCoka
      LudiCoka
      Bronze
      Hi,

preflop - as long as you know your opponent raises with crappy hands, KJs is a great call, but watch out for those cards if there is a tighter opponent you are facing. It's probably better to just fold then to find yourself playing for a pot out of position with not so rarely dominated hand.

flop - check/raise isn't that good unless you are playing against some big aggressive fish, you are getting yourself in trouble against hands that beat you and making weaker hands fold.

check/call is fine if you know you are facing an aggressive opponent or someone who c-bets air a lot, but here it seems you have a very fishy opponent that would probably just check behind if he hadn't hit top pair too, so versus those opponents, it is good to just valuebet whenever you can, they call it with gutshots, 2nd pair, etc... so just donk out here

As played, after your check/raise and his reraise you can't really fold with TP2K against <half-stack so calling there is the only option.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by LudiCoka
      Hi,

preflop - as long as you know your opponent raises with crappy hands, KJs is a great call, but watch out for those cards if there is a tighter opponent you are facing. It's probably better to just fold then to find yourself playing for a pot out of position with not so rarely dominated hand.

flop - check/raise isn't that good unless you are playing against some big aggressive fish, you are getting yourself in trouble against hands that beat you and making weaker hands fold.

check/call is fine if you know you are facing an aggressive opponent or someone who c-bets air a lot, but here it seems you have a very fishy opponent that would probably just check behind if he hadn't hit top pair too, so versus those opponents, it is good to just valuebet whenever you can, they call it with gutshots, 2nd pair, etc... so just donk out here

As played, after your check/raise and his reraise you can't really fold with TP2K against <half-stack so calling there is the only option.
      I think those are all sound arguments.

That said, the sample is still kinda small and I don't think we should pass up the opportunity to play a pot with KJs and the fish, even if his 9% PFR isn't really a good thing so far. And while I would also donk out as played without any reason to think villain will be often, I actually don't mind check/raising because I think we're not beat very often and it's a good opportunity to totally commit villain to the pot with marginal gutshots and stuff that he most likely will chase.

Hope it helps.
    • arisko
      arisko
      Bronze
      Thanks for the answers, as I said this is the first time I post a hand and this was my first SH session. I'm glad to hear that I wasn't totally wrong in calling the hand. I will certainly post a lot more hands in the future as this was very helpful. :)

I thought of ceck/calling but then again he only had like 35BB and I didn't want to get into any hard decisions if there would come up a Q,9 or A. BTW NL4SH on mansion is really fishy, and I dont give as much respect to shortstackers as I do to full-stacks on this stake.

Thanks again