Dealing with super aggressive players

• Gediminas1

I would like to discuss ways to deal with players, who play play a super-aggressive style in the early and middle stage of the tournament.

I, myself, am quite a tight player, but recently have found myself in a situation where it became clear that the super aggressive player was outplaying me.

There were 3 of us at the table, the second player was less experienced and also very tight.

I was simply not getting any decent hands and the super aggressive player just kept on betting on almost every single hand pre-flop. Of course, I dealt with it by calling a couple of times with very marginal hands and I won a couple of the showdowns, but the thing is, he stole so many blinds that he still managed to have the biggest stack for the most of the tournament.

So, how would you handle such a situation?

It is also worth noting, that the blinds were getting quite high and, also, the aggressive player almost never folds, and he raises or re-raises on all betting rounds.

If I would have gotten a monster, of course it would be quite a blessing this player :) but what to do, when the hands are just terrible? I am not a player, who likes to gamble with marginal or below hands on behalf of the other player.
  • 2 replies
    • nworb200
      In the early - middle stages just wait for a hand and crunch him (don't worry the blinds aren't that big) - just use the standard hand charts but don't conti-bet too much against maniacs.

In the late stages (large blinds in relation to your stack) you just have to gamble, practice ICM until you are comfortable with the pushing/folding ranges and play accordingly. Often you will lose but it's just something you have to put up with when playing sngs, if you don't like it you are probably best to stick to cash games :O .

You will also get called an idiot a lot by people that don't know ICM when they wait for their pocket queens to call your push and discover you have K3 and then get sucked out! :D

I don't know what kind of tournament it was but if it was a pokerstars/fulltilt 9 man sng it generally pays to be aggressive when there are three players left as the payout for second is not much better than third however first is much higher.

50% payout for first
      30% second
      20% third
    • elhh82
      if you get a top 10% hand in the and the guys keeps stealing you. Throw in a resteal. Usually shuts him up for a bit.