[NL2-NL10] NL5 AK Vs 2 villains, TPTK on a scary board.

• Rakoth666
      Rakoth666
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      UTG1:
      $8.37
      UTG2:
      $3.32
      MP1:
      $5.58
      MP2:
      $8.27
      MP3:
      $3.26
      CO (Hero):
      $10.70
      BU:
      $2.38
      SB:
      $5.00
      BB:
      $1.95

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, K.
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 calls $0.05, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.05, MP3 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, 2 folds, BB calls $0.25, UTG2 folds, MP2 calls $0.25.

Flop: ($0.97) J, K, 6 (3 players)
      BB bets $0.50, MP2 calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50.

Turn: ($2.47) Q (3 players)
      BB bets $0.50, MP2 raises to $1.00, Hero folds, BB calls $0.50.

River: ($4.47) 5 (2 players)
      BB checks, MP2 bets $0.15, BB calls $0.15.

Final Pot: $4.77.

Results follow:

BB shows a pair of tens(Ts Td).
      MP2 shows a pair of kings(4h Kc).

MP2 wins with a pair of kings(4h Kc).

OK seeing this i'm not happy at all with my fold but after some bad beats I was pretty depressed and sure that at least one of them had the nut straight or a two-pair and the MP2 miniraise convinced me about that. I was also afraid about someone being on a flush draw and hitting it again on the river but this is irrational, caused of my psychological stress at the time, I know :(

I believe my options here would be to fold or to go broke against 2 villains. My question is should I go broke anytime with TPTK on a scary board like that?

Don't bash me too much, I know this is a very bad play :f_biggrin:
  • 5 replies
    • LudiCoka
      LudiCoka
      Bronze
      Hi,

Preflop is played fine.

On flop versus these weak players who have limp/called preflop (which they do with Tx+ 45+ in my experience) you can raise and go broke with TPTK as there are OESDs, gutshots, FDs, Kx and maybe they think of something we can't imagine they'd call with. So, I believe flatting flop was a mistake here.

As played, turn card is ugly and after a raise and a reraise folding is good.
      If they both actually had something worse here (which I think won't happen often in situations like this), make a note of what they raise or reraise turn with and use it later.
    • Rakoth666
      Rakoth666
      Bronze
      I guess you're right, my play on the flop is terrible, i believe i did that because i was scared to see another heart, which i know it's totally wrong, I know.

Should I bet about 2$ there for protection and if a villain calls go broke on the Turn? Or just check/call Turn since it's ugly?
    • LudiCoka
      LudiCoka
      Bronze
      Hi,

yes, I think you should raise to $2 on the flop there, and by doing that you already commit yourself to the pot, so if MP2 doesn't fold he has to pay your all-in, so he would probably shove there (if not fold), then you'd just call getting it all in on flop. If he somehow calls after your reraise, then it's a no-brainer all-in on turn. If you're really that scared of the turn, then just shove on flop yourself, it is somewhat an overbet, but it's going to happen anyway so I guess it's ok.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by LudiCoka
      Hi,

Preflop is played fine.

On flop versus these weak players who have limp/called preflop (which they do with Tx+ 45+ in my experience) you can raise and go broke with TPTK as there are OESDs, gutshots, FDs, Kx and maybe they think of something we can't imagine they'd call with. So, I believe flatting flop was a mistake here.

As played, turn card is ugly and after a raise and a reraise folding is good.
      If they both actually had something worse here (which I think won't happen often in situations like this), make a note of what they raise or reraise turn with and use it later.
      I totally agree with what LudiCoka suggested for the flop play. BB only has 40bb we're happy to get it in against him, and MP2's call doesn't really show any strength, it's much more likely he has some marginal made hand or some kind of a draw, that he'll still call the raise with if he's bad, so all is for the best.

On the turn however BB makes that small bet again, I don't think MP2's minraise necessarily is strength. If anything it tells us that MP2 probably is as bad as BB. And while this Q might have been scary against more reasonable players, I think it's actually a decent card for us against bad players. Of course they might have KQ and be ahead now, but it also gives more equity to the hands they were drawing with, making it more difficult for them to fold those. If we had 100bb I'd just 3-bet and still go broke there for sure. Being slightly deep with MP2 it's a bit more awkward, but given it's nl5 I still don't think this is bad by any means.

Hope it helps.
    • Rakoth666
      Rakoth666
      Bronze
      Thanks for the answers :f_biggrin: