This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Raising in position and out of?

• dicekeyrollz
      dicekeyrollz
      Bronze
      Okay awesome players of Pokerstrategy.com:

Authors such as Dan Harrington suggest raising a higher amount in worse position to increase the chances of winning the pot pre-flop. The logic assumes that with slightly marginal hands and situations (AQ on the BB with two limpers in early position), it's better to take a hand down as quickly as possible to avoid tricky situations post-flop.

But hear me out here. If you were in position, how much more likely are you to fold to a x4BB raise as opposed to a x3BB raise? I don't think there is a huge gap in fold equity here. After all, the player in position knows his advantage on the flop and onwards.

So I think that if we were to make a raise for value/take down the pot, why not a slightly smaller raise instaed of a larger raise to minimize the money put into the pot? It's easier to fold a hand with less money invested, am I right?

All constructive suggestions, arguments, rebuttals, and of course, concordance with my theory is welcomed.
  • 2 replies
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      What I do is to raise pot size OOP and and slightly less IP.

ie from the CO 3bb + calls and from the BU 2.5bb + calls

rather using oversized bets with marginal hands
    • harleytopper
      harleytopper
      Bronze
      Im not fan of raising bigger OOP, this will lead to situations where you build bigger pot than needed in tough situation. Just raise standart 3.5/4 bb.

If you were in position, how much more likely are you to fold to a x4BB raise as opposed to a x3BB raise?
      No difference to me.