Raising in position and out of?

• dicekeyrollz
      dicekeyrollz
      Bronze
      Okay awesome players of Pokerstrategy.com:

Authors such as Dan Harrington suggest raising a higher amount in worse position to increase the chances of winning the pot pre-flop. The logic assumes that with slightly marginal hands and situations (AQ on the BB with two limpers in early position), it's better to take a hand down as quickly as possible to avoid tricky situations post-flop.

But hear me out here. If you were in position, how much more likely are you to fold to a x4BB raise as opposed to a x3BB raise? I don't think there is a huge gap in fold equity here. After all, the player in position knows his advantage on the flop and onwards.

So I think that if we were to make a raise for value/take down the pot, why not a slightly smaller raise instaed of a larger raise to minimize the money put into the pot? It's easier to fold a hand with less money invested, am I right?

All constructive suggestions, arguments, rebuttals, and of course, concordance with my theory is welcomed.
  • 2 replies
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      What I do is to raise pot size OOP and and slightly less IP.

ie from the CO 3bb + calls and from the BU 2.5bb + calls

rather using oversized bets with marginal hands
    • harleytopper
      harleytopper
      Bronze
      Im not fan of raising bigger OOP, this will lead to situations where you build bigger pot than needed in tough situation. Just raise standart 3.5/4 bb.

If you were in position, how much more likely are you to fold to a x4BB raise as opposed to a x3BB raise?
      No difference to me.