[NL2-NL10] nl10 FR - 44 rivered full, value 3bet + note

• BattleHunter
      BattleHunter
      Coach
      Coach
      Cake Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) - Cake-Poker Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO ($9.70)
      Button ($8.31)
      SB ($2.05)
      BB ($5.87)
      Hero (UTG) ($14.92)
      UTG+1 ($2.30)
      MP1 ($10.76)
      MP2 ($1.70)
      MP3 ($10)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 4, 4
      Hero calls $0.10, 1 fold, MP1 bets $0.20, 6 folds, Hero calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.55) 3, A, Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 checks

Turn: ($0.55) 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.35, MP1 calls $0.35

River: ($1.25) A (2 players)
      Hero bets $1, MP1 raises to $2, Hero raises to $5, MP1 calls $3

Total pot: $11.25 | Rake: $0.75

1st of all I know I shouldn't be limping UTG in FR game, because it's obvious that I either have small pocket or some suited connectors and I'll never get value off if I hit and when I don't hit I just waste money. I'm still learning and trying to adapt myself from SH, where this hand wouldve been an easy raise preflop utg :/

So I didn't know much about villain (this hand gives a lot of info tho), except that everyone was playing rather tight on the table. The small minraise, especially with a limper in the pot seemed really strange, as he never min raised before.

On the turn 3/4 might have been the better bet (instead of 2/3) but I wanted to keep the small pockets and Qx hands in there, as I believe only Ax would call 3/4.

The real question is the river. Given the action, my opponent most probably has an Ax type of hand and I'm pretty sure I beat a good percent of his range, so I really wanted to keep him in, so I raise him x2,5. Will Ax hands that I beat call me larger 3bet, or should I keep it like that in similar spots?

In the end villain had exactly what I put him on - AK. But his line makes no sense whatsoever! What note would you put on such villain?
  • 2 replies
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      It's fine to limp if table is full of loose-passives. Except hardly any tables are like that these days.

Minraise: Some people do this to isolate with the weaker part of their range when theres a shortstack to their left.

Turn: I would prob pot it. He either has something or doesn't.

River: Yeah I kind of feel he will have mid/weak Ax after checking behind the flop. I would just shove though. If he raises his bad Ax here, he prob isn't very good and doesn't realise that his hand isn't that strong, so will be just as likely to call a shove as 2.5x.

Note: Attack his cbets on dry boards. Minraise isolate with AK.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Depends on the player.

I think you can get calls from very weak stuff like TT-JJ on the turn if you don't make it too scary and you shouldn't really expect villain to show up with Ax type hands after checking back without knowing anything about him, so I like your turn bet.

On the river I agree with johnbeattie85 for the most part, tho you will sometimes manage to scare the fish enough by threatening his entire stack to make him hero fold something. Might be his whole roll, if he wants to keep playing he has a fold or risk busting out decision. That said even if you don't shove it you can make it bigger, whether it's $5 or $8 I don't think he's folding trips ever. Whether you think it's a good thing or not to put him all-in for the remaining bucks is up to you.

As for the note I'd just put something general about him minraising strong hands both preflop and postflop, and the fact that he checked back TPTK as the pfa on the flop to take a tricky/slowplay line.

hope it helps.