[NL2-NL10] NL2 - 22 - Quads - wrong slowplay?

• wowadvisor
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP2 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 2, 2.
      2 folds, MP1 calls $0.02, Hero calls $0.02, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.02, BU calls $0.02, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.11) 8, 2, 2 (5 players)
      BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks, CO bets $0.02, BU folds, BB folds, MP1 calls $0.02, Hero calls $0.02.

Turn: ($0.17) Q (3 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero bets $0.08, CO calls $0.08, MP1 calls $0.08.

River: ($0.41) 8 (3 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero bets $0.25, CO raises to $0.67(All-In), MP1 folds, Hero calls $0.42.

Final Pot: $1.75.

Results follow:

CO shows four of a kind, eights(8h 8c).
      Hero shows four of a kind, twos(2h 2c).

CO wins with four of a kind, eights(8h 8c).

Hi, im still learning A LOT about bss, nearly got enough profit to move to NL5 finally... but i read that when you flop quads its best to slowplay to let other players catch up and get better cards?

did i slowplay right or totally wrong? i try to call the flop then bet really small on the turn to show weakness, then he got aggresive on the river.

wrong or right? thank you in advanced
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

Well it's not easy to get the hang of it unless you run the numbers at least once. Just try and imagine how much more money you can win if you raise the flop and somebody still calls you down, compared to what you'd win by making minbets all the way.

Slowplaying is really good when your opponents look like they're ready to put money in the pot on their own, you certainly don't want to scare them off potentially good hands. But when they make minbets and stuff more often than not they simply don't have much and they will rarely build a pot big enough on their own to make it worth your while. True they'll sometimes hit a top pair on the turn and go with it, but it's nl2, they might call a raise with overcards anyway and go broke for a lot more money if they hit the turn.

So here nobody with an 8 is folding ever, nobody with clubs is folding either, 33-77 will peel sometimes too. Bad players might even call with overcards just because the board is soooo dry. For these reasons I would raise the flop, even if you make it small the pot still growth very fast. $0.10 is plenty. Somebody who calls with an 8x or a flushdraw will have a hard time folding even on overcard turns if you don't pot it, but the pot will be twice as big as it is as played, so you'll be able to bet a lot more money even if you keep the bet/pot ratio the same.

Hope it helps.