how small is the english community?

• supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      i am just wondering how small is the english community in pokerstrategy compared to other communities? seems like german community is the largest? any quick facts to share regarding this as well? :f_biggrin:
  • 11 replies
    • Pasty92
      Pasty92
      Bronze
      edit
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi supeyrio,

I believe the German and rapidly growing Russian communities are the largest, however the English community is one of the next biggest, I imagine similar size to the Spanish community.

Xantos publishes some great stats in his Confidential blog including this type of thing if you want an interesting read sometime.

Best regards,

Bart
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EagleStar88
      Hi supeyrio,

I believe the German and rapidly growing Russian communities are the largest, however the English community is one of the next biggest, I imagine similar size to the Spanish community.

Xantos publishes some great stats in his Confidential blog including this type of thing if you want an interesting read sometime.

Best regards,

Bart
      i mean, just comparing the post counts of german to english forum @ fulltilt section, 150k to 8k. drastic! although admittedly my sample size is too small (ok n=1 lol) to do a decent comparison, but you get the drift.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      I'm sure excluding 214 million of the world's English speakers isn't helping us much. :D
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Yeah, the German community is massive in comparison and tokyoaces is also spot on. If legally we were able to enter the U.S. market, our numbers would be bolstered somewhat. Couple of other aspects to also consider:

PokerStrategy was originally started with the German community a good couple of years before being rolled out to other languages, so will have developed and continue to develop a couple of years ahead of everyone else.

English community is a truely international community with many members from native languages that do not yet have their own community. As such we do tend to "lose" quite a lot of members who transfer when additional language communities are set up. e.g. Romanian, Danish, Indian, Bulgarian & I believe Polish members all used be attached to the English community.

Having said that though, the vast majority remain extremely good friends of and regular visitors/contributors to the English community, as do members from other communities (vonki from Sweden, Yoghi from Netherlands, DiegoFeung from Spain to name just a few). :)

I think one of our strengths is our international appeal.

Oh and don't forget, just because the German community is the biggest, doesn't necessarily mean it is the best ;) :D

Bart
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      I'm sure excluding 214 million of the world's English speakers isn't helping us much. :D
      Aren't about 107 million of them Spanish speakers? :f_p:
    • RMB
      RMB
      Bronze
      I like the english community alot, maybe i should go and visit the swedish forums .. :D

Didnt know Vonki was from sweden.. O.o
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Waiboy
      Actually 214 million number counts only native English speakers and was shamelessly stolen from Wikipedia. :s_biggrin: Total English speakers in the US is 251 million.
    • Fiszy
      Fiszy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Waiboy
      Actually 214 million number counts only native English speakers and was shamelessly stolen from Wikipedia. :s_biggrin: Total English speakers in the US is 251 million.
      Only 251 million out of 350 million people in the U.S speak English? That figure seems off.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Fiszy
      Only 251 million out of 350 million people in the U.S speak English? That figure seems off.
      I guess you've never been to America? After 20 years of living there it sounds about right to me. :D
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      yeah the other 1xx million, when asked said they spoke "American" :D

Homer Simpson: "pfft, english...I'm never going to England.."