[NL2-NL10] How to play overcards on flop?

• Teyiebuns
      Teyiebuns
      Bronze
      Hey, I am fairly new to BSS, from SSS, and therefore I really struggle with post-flop play. I try and end it on the flop if I can, or fold if it's not worth it. Recently I've lost almost everything on flops when I hold overcards, particularly KK/QQ/JJ, and the villan has trips with some crap like 6s and just called my raise pre-flop. How should I play this, I normally cont. bet on flop, get raised, go all-in cause I have overcards and don't feel folding is appropriate, suggestions?

Here is a typical example of this

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $5.33
      MP3:
      $3.64
      CO:
      $2.09
      BU:
      $5.27
      SB:
      $11.89
      BB:
      $4.96
      UTG1:
      $3.42
      UTG2 (Hero):
      $5.96
      MP1:
      $5.16

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with Q, Q.
      UTG1 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, 4 folds, BU calls $0.20, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.47) 6, 4, 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.33, BU raises to $1.00, Hero raises to $5.76, BU calls $4.07.

Turn: ($11.3) 2 (2 players)

River: ($11.3) 3 (2 players)

Final Pot: $11.3.

Results follow:

BU shows three of a kind, sixs(6d 6c).
      Hero shows a pair of queens(Qc Qd).

BU wins with three of a kind, sixs(6d 6c).

Hand 2 - different situation, but as usual I did it wrong post-flop, any suggestions on what I should do in this situation

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $1.03
      BU:
      $4.76
      SB:
      $5.00
      BB:
      $2.12
      UTG1:
      $2.02
      UTG2:
      $6.57
      MP1:
      $5.41
      MP2:
      $7.26
      MP3 (Hero):
      $7.59

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J, J.
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, 3 folds, BB calls $0.15.

Flop: ($0.42) J, A, T (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.30, BB calls $0.30.

Turn: ($1.02) K (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.75, BB raises to $1.62, Hero calls $0.87.

River: ($4.26) 7 (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.26.

Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, jacks(Jh Jd).
      BB shows a straight, ace high(Qc Kh).

BB wins with a straight, ace high(Qc Kh).

Thank you for your help
  • 4 replies
    • STR82ACE
      STR82ACE
      Bronze
      Hand 1
      An overpair is JUST a pair. Pushing on every flop when you have an overpair without stopping to consider what your opponent may have can be very determental to your bankroll. Take the time to consider what your opponent's range could be, and then play accordingly. In this hand, his 3bet raise should slow you down abit and try to keep the pot small.

Hand 2
      Going broke here every time, especially against a short stack. NH

Its a good idea to only post one hand per thread, as well as NOT to post the results of the hand, even via ghosting. It will give a much more honest evaluation of your play.
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      First hand - flop is really dry board and so sucks getting raised on. Think it really comes down to reads here - as a default I probably just try to call and get to showdown cheap.

2nd hand - sure may have Qx but can also have a lot of two pair type hands and you still even have 25% equity against Qx and so you get near correct odds to call. Throw in a few non-straight hands and its defintely profitable. (I would bet a bit bigger on the flop tho - this flop is a very have it/don't have it kind and so you want to get more value when they have a piece of it but also protect your hand slightly)
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by amplifyd
      First hand - flop is really dry board and so sucks getting raised on. Think it really comes down to reads here - as a default I probably just try to call and get to showdown cheap.

2nd hand - sure may have Qx but can also have a lot of two pair type hands and you still even have 25% equity against Qx and so you get near correct odds to call. Throw in a few non-straight hands and its defintely profitable. (I would bet a bit bigger on the flop tho - this flop is a very have it/don't have it kind and so you want to get more value when they have a piece of it but also protect your hand slightly)
      +1
      1) if player can raise there bluffs or worse hands for value shove is fine
      2) b/c turn is fine. his stack is too small to do anything else with set
    • mgrudzie
      mgrudzie
      Bronze
      ad 1)
      how it is possible to keep pot small if there would be 2.5$ after hero calls and until river still an allin situation - so when to fold? on almost any turn card? or river ? :)