[NL2-NL10] New player seeks advice!

• Teyiebuns
      Teyiebuns
      Bronze
      Hey, I am very new to BSS and just looking for corrective actions on the hands I've played, badly. Very new to playing post-flop and I tend to wanna fold or shove.

Here is a hand I shoved on the flop to avoid anything tricky later on, I was happy with 4x my initial raise. What could I have done differently?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      UTG1:
      $4.40
      UTG2:
      $5.76
      MP1 (Hero):
      $5.79
      MP2:
      $3.76
      MP3:
      $5.56
      CO:
      $10.71
      BU:
      $3.56
      SB:
      $10.12
      BB:
      $6.72

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A, A.
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 raises to $0.20, Hero raises to $0.60, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.60, 3 folds, BB calls $0.55, UTG2 calls $0.40.

Flop: ($2.42) 4, 7, K (4 players)
      BB checks, UTG2 checks, Hero bets $5.19(All-In), MP3 folds, BB folds, UTG2 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $2.42.

What to do when have overpair, and you make decent bet, and villan re-raises me?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $10.69
      CO:
      $15.58
      BU:
      $5.37
      SB:
      $2.03
      BB:
      $2.00
      UTG1 (Hero):
      $6.84
      UTG2:
      $1.45
      MP1:
      $2.89
      MP2:
      $3.20

Preflop: Hero is UTG1 with K, K.
      Hero raises to $0.20, 4 folds, CO calls $0.20, 3 folds.

Flop: ($0.47) Q, 7, 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.33, CO raises to $0.66, Hero raises to $6.64, CO folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.13.
  • 2 replies
    • STR82ACE
      STR82ACE
      Bronze
      Although I think you might be pushing too much too fast in both cases, you played it correctly. You WANT to get all the money in preflop or on the flop with these hands.

You might want to think about just making pot sized bets though first as opposed to simply pushing on the flop. You WANT to get called by weaker hands, and your pushing screams you have AA or KK or a set each time.

You're going to lose with these hands sometimes. Its a fact of the game. Don't be scared to play to win more though.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by STR82ACE
      Although I think you might be pushing too much too fast in both cases, you played it correctly. You WANT to get all the money in preflop or on the flop with these hands.

You might want to think about just making pot sized bets though first as opposed to simply pushing on the flop. You WANT to get called by weaker hands, and your pushing screams you have AA or KK or a set each time.

You're going to lose with these hands sometimes. Its a fact of the game. Don't be scared to play to win more though.
      This. Getting value when you have good hands is just as important as not getting valuetowned when you are facing the nuts, and you make it very easy for them to get away when they are beat if you always overbet with the nuts.

I'd c-bet about $1.6 in the first hand and 3-bet to $2.1 in the second hand. Both times it's enough to comfortably shove the turn and it's not so scary that bad players will want to fold instead of making bad peels.

Hope it helps.