Button ($56.90)
      SB ($31)
      BB ($49.50)
      Hero ($10.75)
      UTG+1 ($22.30)
      MP1 ($48.50)
      MP2 ($58.60)
      CO ($27.75)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K:heart: , A:club: .
      [color:#CC3333]Hero raises to $2[/color], UTG+1 calls $2, [color:#666666]6 folds[/color].

Flop: ($4.75) Q:spade: , 2:spade: , 5:heart: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color]
      [color:#CC3333]Hero bets $3[/color], UTG+1 calls $3.

Turn: ($10.75) 8:club: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color]
      Hero checks, [color:#CC3333]UTG+1 bets $1[/color], Hero calls $1.

River: ($12.75) 2:heart: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color]
      Hero checks, [color:#CC3333]UTG+1 bets $4[/color], Hero folds.

Final Pot: $12.75

My question here is about the turn. I figured the pot odds I was getting to see one more card were too good to fold, correct? But on the river I only beat a bluff and had to fold...

Thanks,
      Kknight
  • 11 replies
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      OOP you have to decide, if you push or if you play check/fold. Here I would play check/fold.
    • Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      So I shouldn't have called the $1 turn bet even with almost 12:1 pot odds? Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

Thanks,
      Kknight
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      Yep, cause that bet looks very suspicious to me. And if you check on the Turn with A-high you never know with your Opponent is betting cause he has something or because he is bluffing.

I do not believe that he bluffs here, cause it seems that he wants to give you good odds to call. I guess he had Two Pair or better.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Can´t believe that UTG+1 could hold two pair on Q258 board:D . Set is very likely, I´ve seen people coldcalling SSS players with QQ. ON the other hand he could hold flush draw or medium pair 99-JJ, so I would call his turn bet for pot odds and if I hit my K or A, then I would check/call for bluf induce and also for caution.
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      Its push or be done with the hand here on the Turn. You can only really call if you put him on a Draw, and in that case you could push as well, since you have still Fold Equity.

If you don´t put him on a hand, you can be sure that you´re drawing dead most of the times. But if he holds a draw his $1 bet makes no sense, cause he can take a freecard (he knows that he is often behind an A-high hand). I would only bet that small if I want more value from my opponent, knowing then he is drawing dead on the Turn against my hand, and give him the good odds to call my min bets for Value.

Villain would never bet this small with 99, because if the Preflopraiser checks the turn he knows that in 90-95% of the times you have AK or AJ here and only A-high or maybe JJ or TT and often has to fold against a Turnbet from him. So why allow you to see the River so cheap? Right to get Value from you with your drawing dead hand, because a bigger bet you would never have called but 90-95% of the times you would have folded.

So on the Turn you either fold or you push when you put him on a Draw with no made hands. So most of the times you have to fold here.
    • Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      OK, makes sense. You don't think an opponent might make a small bet here with a pair of Q's to see if he's any good? Or even a pair of 8's? He'd have to assume I don't have a Q since I checked the turn.

Thanks,
      Kknight
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Yeah, you might be right. He might call flop with Qx or 8x (although any normal player wont call UTG raise with 8x:) ) and he want to find out where he is. (he doesn´t want to bet big and 1-2$ should be enough to fold your overcards.
    • Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      Originally posted by Kaitz20
      although any normal player wont call UTG raise with 8x :)
      I agree, I was thinking something like A8, K8s, etc rather than 8x ;)
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      If he only holds a Q he does not want to give you good odds to draw for you Overcards, what would be 6 Outs.

Like I said eitherway he has not much or he wants to trap you with that small bet. Thats why you have to decide what to do on the Turn. What if call the Turn, and hit your King?

OOP you have to bet. If you get a raise then you know that you´re behind almost every time. But you will call anyway.

For me that Minbet just looks very suspicious. If you have reads on your Opponent it can be right to "just" call here.
    • Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      OK, I think I understand better now. Thanks for explaining it further Berliner.

Thanks,
      Kknight
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      Every time. :)
      But if everybody else has more suggestions towards that hand let me know. :)