Logic puzzles / brain teasers

• swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      I just saw a brilliant thread idea over at the French forums (linky), so I'm shamelessly going to steal it.

I'll post a logic puzzle, and whoever finds the answer first, posts another one -- and so on.

I'll start off with a relatively easy one. It's called 'petals around the rose'.

You roll five dice. The computer calculates the score. Your job is to find out what the computer based the score on.

If you roll 5, 4, 6, 3, and 5, the score is 10.

If you roll 1, 3, 3, 4, and 2, the score is 4.

If you roll 1, 6, 2, 6, and 4,the score is 0.

What is the method?
  • 31 replies
    • advola
      advola
      Bronze
      preety sure its wrong but its the only pattern i see at a momment.

roll1: 5+4+6+3+5=23
      roll2: 1+3+3+4+2=13
      roll3: 1+6+2+6+4=19

roll1 = roll1 - roll2 = 10
      roll2 = roll1 - roll3 = 4
      roll3 = roll1 - roll1 = 0
      -------------------------------------------------------------

looked over the internet and im wrong :) but now i know the answer
      nice pazzle but you didnt explain it very well..
      here more explanation

1. The name of the game is "Petals Around the Rose", and the name of the game is the key to the game.
      2. The answer is always a nonnegative even number.
      3. Anyone who knows the game may give the answer to any roll, but they must not disclose the reasoning

here a another roll.. the answer is 6

• swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Originally posted by advola
      nice pazzle but you didnt explain it very well..
      hey, I just copy/pasted :D

I thought about including the clues, but it seemed waaay too easy with them. Although in retrospect, clue #2 should be given to be more clear.
    • Hades1313
      Hades1313
      Bronze
      I think i got it ... from the name .... hoppe that is the answer. For example in a rol of 5 3 4 5 3 answer is 12 right??
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      yep! next puzzle pls :)
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      dnt exactly understand how u worked this out
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Originally posted by justkyle88
      dnt exactly understand how u worked this out
      The first rule of Fight Club is don't talk about Fight Club.
      The second rule of Fight Club is don't talk about Fight Club.
      This is kinda the same thing... All that we are allowed to tell you is these three rules:

Originally posted by advola
      1. The name of the game is "Petals Around the Rose", and the name of the game is the key to the game.
      2. The answer is always a nonnegative even number.
      3. Anyone who knows the game may give the answer to any roll, but they must not disclose the reasoning
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      I don't like this game. :f_frown:
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      What? No, Hades found the answer, ofc we can give it now.

The answer is in the name of the problem. The score is the number of dots around the center dot, when there is one. i.e, when you roll a 3, there is a central dot and 2 others => score +2. If you roll a five, you have 4 dots around the center => score +4.
      All the other sides don't meet these criteria, so they don't count towards the total.

On that note, if hades would be so kind as to post a new puzzle, we could continue :)

Or I'll post another one in a few hours if he hasn't answered
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Oh, well in this case this game is easy..lol
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Ok, here's another one. Just as a reminder, whoever finds the answer first should post a new puzzle, to keep things interesting :)

The mailman is talking with a professor on his doorstep.
      The professor says : "I have three daughters. The sum of their ages is equal to the number of the house across the street.
      The product of their ages is equal to 36. What are my daughters' ages?"

The mailman says "I'm missing a piece of information", to which the professor replies "That's right! My eldest daughter is a blonde."

"found it!"

How did the mailman solve it?
      (in before "the mailman is their father")
    • Genkidesuka
      Genkidesuka
      Bronze
      At a guess I'd say something like having an eldest daughter means he can't have two the same age, eliminating some of the possibilities...

So that eliminates 6 x 6 x 1, but not 9 x 4 x 1, or 4 x 3 x 3, or 18 x 2 x 1...
    • s1m0nmp
      s1m0nmp
      Global
      If the mailman knew the number of the houses (which i guess he knows as he is a mailman afterall) than he would be able to give correct and exact answer. On the other side you have a set of solutions (first always being the eldest daughter):

36x1x1
      18x2x2
      12x3x1
      9x4x1
      9x2x2
      6x3x2
      4x3x3....

IF ONLY YOU AND DEAD PEOPLE CAN READ HEXADECIMAL, THAN HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN READ HEXADECIMAL?
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      btw, it is possible to find the exact answer (rather than half a dozen potential ones). Think about it from the mailman's point of view.
    • LudiCoka
      LudiCoka
      Bronze
      He looked at the number of the house that's across the street :)

So, when he says I'm missing a piece of information he is actually trying to find the house number and when he does he says "Found it!", the rest is just to confuse us :D .
    • advola
      advola
      Bronze
      Originally posted by LudiCoka
      He looked at the number of the house that's across the street :)

So, when he says I'm missing a piece of information he is actually trying to find the house number and when he does he says "Found it!", the rest is just to confuse us :D .

if not this so - looked in his mail!
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      The house on the other side of the street is maybe mentioned because usually adresses have even numbers on one side and odd on the other. But we still don't know how are the numbers on the other side.

Well my guess is 2,3,6 but there are possibly more possibilities.
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      The answer is 9x2x2, if you want I can post the reasoning after that and hopefully I'll remember some nice puzzle to solve also.

Edit:I have a puzzle!

You stand in a hallway with doors to three different rooms. In each room there is a lightbulb. In front of the room you have three switches, each lighst one lightbulb. When you get in the hallway all lights are turned off. Before you open the doors you can play with the switches as much as you want, but once you open the doors (all togheter), you must not use the switches anymore. offcourse you can't peek in the rooms or something silly like that.

Find a way to tell which switch lights the lightbulb in which room.
    • Skeat
      Skeat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RahXephon1
      The answer is 9x2x2, if you want I can post the reasoning after that and hopefully I'll remember some nice puzzle to solve also.

Edit:I have a puzzle!

You stand in a hallway with doors to three different rooms. In each room there is a lightbulb. In front of the room you have three switches, each lighst one lightbulb. When you get in the hallway all lights are turned off. Before you open the doors you can play with the switches as much as you want, but once you open the doors (all togheter), you must not use the switches anymore. offcourse you can't peek in the rooms or something silly like that.

Find a way to tell which switch lights the lightbulb in which room.
      I turn 1 lightbulb on for some time, turn it off and then turn the next one on and go into the rooms.

one room is gonna have a turned on lightbulb
      other room is gonna have a cold and turned off lightbulb
      the third room is gonna have a warm and off lightbulb

Puzzle:

You have 3 coins, 2 of them have the same weight, the third one has double the weight.
      The objective is the find out which one is the heaviest using the least amount of tries on the scale. (No, you can't tell which one it is by putting them on your hand)

How many tries do you need?
    • advola
      advola
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Skeat

You have 3 coins, 2 of them have the same weight, the third one has double the weight.
      The objective is the find out which one is the heaviest using the least amount of tries on the scale. (No, you can't tell which one it is by putting them on your hand)

How many tries do you need?
      1 Try..

pot 1 on each scale and 1 leave out.
      if the scale is in the middle the the heaviest is the one that was out
      if 1 side of the scale is down = the heaviest

boya!!