BSS fullring sample pre-flop stats

• mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Hey!

So I've switched to playing the BSS and it's all fun and jokes so far but I've only played 6000 hands. Watching the stats in HEM and it kinda bothers me that it's VPIP/PRF 11/7.

I am playing by the chart and this leads to me limping with face cards and suited aces from late position after a limper and limp/calling with low pairs and also open limping with them from middle position.

So as a completely new player I am seeking advice as to what my pre-flop stats should look like on a fullring table?
  • 9 replies
    • LonePiranha
      LonePiranha
      Bronze
      I am not overly familar with the total strategy here as I am still at basic status (and from the way some people act here I'll probably stay that way) but I would offer the advice that 6,000 hands is not really a large enough sample size to get much of an overview.

However, it does seem that 11/7 is rather tight.

Are you blind stealing? (If the strategy you are using permits this)

Are you using implied odds to call raises with your low to low-medium pockets pairs? From the parts of the strategy I have read you are supposed to use the "Call 20 rule".

As an example:

You have $10 and you are in LP at a NL10 table.
      Early positions fold.
      A player in MP (also with $10) raises to $0.40, all players fold to you and you have 44.

To calculate whether or not you can call this raise using the call 20 rule means that you and the player that raised would need to have 20 x the original raise amount.

So .40c x 20 = $8.

Therefore you can call the bet and still follow the strategy that you are. If however you were sat with $6 or the raiser had $6 you must fold. If you don't hit the flop and the raiser leads into the clear move is then to fold. If you hit the flop, well I'm sure you know the rest.

Also, if the raiser doesn't lead into you and the flop comes with a few scare cards and you feel you can take it down should the raiser check to you, a nice amount is usualy 2/3rds of the pot.

Also, if there is a raise for examle of 4 X BB and someone else calls, I am not sure how your strategy works exactly but say you are sat with suited connectors of 4,5 or higher this would usually be a good place to call also.

If I am wrong and your strategy that you follow has it's own views on this then maybe you should follow that as last time I tried to help someone they were told to ignore me, which I found rather rude.
    • harleytopper
      harleytopper
      Bronze
      Just follow chart if you dont fully understand how to play PF and don't worry about stats.

Limping after limpers is fine if you know opponents after you will not isolate you in position. But avoid openlimping in any position, just raise of fold.
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      I understand the charts and I understand the call 20 rule and I also understand how to play basic postflop play.

@lone piranha: yes I am blind stealing, ATS is 24 in HEM.

Openlimping sucks, yeah.

Maybe I am concerned because I just switched from SNGs where I put it all in the middle with air and it's a very aggressive game overall, I don't know.
    • LonePiranha
      LonePiranha
      Bronze
      Yes, transitions between games are sometimes quite hard to adjust to, and cash games require a lot more patience and persistance than the increasing levels of a sit and go.

Give it up to 25,000 hands and see if you feel a bit more comfortable and then maybe post some hands and your results for analysis, so that other people can help you little better in finding any leaks you may have, or just give you the reassurance that you are playing well.

25,000 hands is still a relitively small sample, and I would suggest that 100,000 would be a better benchmark. However at 25,000 you should of settled a bit more and found a bit more rhythm to your playing style.
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      50000 is the number I've decided to stay on the NL10 even though I now have the roll for NL25.

Thanks for the advice!
    • fulja
      fulja
      Bronze
      You are playing a bit tight for NL BSS but don't sweat it....if you just started continue to play your game and as you get more experienced with BSS, preflop and postflop play just start adjusting your open raise ranges...

I had a similar problem after switching from SSS strategy but just kept on playing and as i gained more confidence in my postflop play i started to raise more hands. Slowly my stats went up to about 14/10 - 16/12 depending on the players sitting around me.

And it's going a lot better as opposed to when i tried to force myself to play looser at the beginning of my BSS adventure.
    • iamblueandurmine
      iamblueandurmine
      Bronze
      Better to be too tight than too loose at the start of your career, this way you wont make as many mistakes, and over time you'll learn to loosen up a little in the right situations and you'll see your stats increase slightly until optimal for your game.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      11/7 is fine for FR. You shouldnt try and play certain stats anyway.

I play 10/8 and win 6bb/100 over a big sarmple. Poker is about winning money not hands. Many players who play like 12/7, 11/8 etc are succesfull players as to my knowledge as high as NL100. So dont worry about it. Forget about your stats and just play poker and rake in the moniez =) At micro stakes you shouldnt be playing to losse anyway.
    • LonePiranha
      LonePiranha
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PocketAcesJohn
      11/7 is fine for FR. You shouldnt try and play certain stats anyway.

I play 10/8 and win 6bb/100
      Very nice.