how to make right decisions under pressure

• Magijec
      Magijec
      Bronze
      One of my big leaks is that I often cant focus and analyze correctly a situation, when I am under pressure. I dont have that problem when I am going through my handhistory and analyze it retrospectively. Its not just that I have more time to analyze, I often just look at the hand and know right away how I should have played. But at the table I am often playing instinctively. This leak is hurting my winrate a lot, because I fucked up lots of big pots. Is there some technic to maintain analytical state of mind even under pressure or does it just come with experience? I read the "Scripting" article but its hard to put in practice, when I am going through series of standard situations, that I dont have to think too much about, during the session and then just BANG and I am in tough spot for 200 BB and my mind is like "what to do? what to do?"
  • 10 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      FAP
    • MathhNes
      MathhNes
      Bronze
      Stop, breathe
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Silver
      no money under pressure, everyone's solid
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Hi Magijec.

I'm not sure what "FAP" is supposed to mean but am certain it is of little help to you.

The problem you describe is a familiar one to many players I am sure. We can all recognise the optimum play in retrospect but seeing it at the time is never quite so easy.Are you multi-tabling? If so perhaps playing 1 or 2 tables less would help you to focus more.

Part of the answer may be to practice making a plan for each hand. Look at your cards initially and before you make your pre-flop bet know what line you plan to take on the flop, turn and river given a few possible situations. Start with the easy situations (flop the nuts and villan shoves, miss completely with all overcards of one suit you have none of and villan donk bets 2xpot etc) and work up to more complex as you get practiced at this.

A large part of the answer to your problem lies in reviewing sessions, recognising patterns and situations, and playing many more hands.

You don't say how many hands you have played or even what limit you play but the biggest part of improving is reviewing, learning and practicing.

Hope this helps
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Silver
      tihihi i know what fapping means :f_biggrin:
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Fagin
      I'm not sure what "FAP" is supposed to mean but am certain it is of little help to you.

FAP techinque is like meditation but so much better and more enjoyable. Everytime i start feeling pressure i just FAP and suddenly i start feeling great. I don't know exactly how to express it but it feels like you RELEASE the pressure like a fountain out of your body.

All my friends practice doing it, doctors say it's healthy. YOU SHOULD TRY IT!
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Hmmm,

googled FAP - If you have time for fapping when thinking through a hand to make a big decision while the timer ticks down, there is something seriously wrong somewhere lol - or perhaps you are playing a different game :D

It may help OP to offset tilt after the game, but has little to offer someone looking for help with decision making under pressure - I am sure it would direct your focus away from your nut flush onto other nuts, possibly a little closer to hand!
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Silver
      i always fap when i feel like i have a strong hand
    • kb021292
      kb021292
      Bronze
      when im playing at times i make and instinctive call without even tinkin abt it, dis has brought me alot of losses but it is as though my hand has a midn of its own and just clicks. A way i ahv foudn to avoid this is by keeping my hand busy, such as playing with the latch of my watch or something of teh sort, by doing this i hav time to tink and i dont instinctively call. I know its a weird method but it helps me lol, hoep it helps u 2
    • Magijec
      Magijec
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Fagin
      Hmmm,

googled FAP - If you have time for fapping when thinking through a hand to make a big decision while the timer ticks down, there is something seriously wrong somewhere lol - or perhaps you are playing a different game :D
      Well I think there is plenty of time for that in live games. And you can also interrupt opponents analytical mindset.
      Thx for serious advices though.