A couple of questions about SNG

• TimoDee
      TimoDee
      Bronze
      Hi guys, I'm just starting my poker adventure, before I do so, I was hoping maybe someone could help me by answering these questions for me:

I know and understand the importance of bankroll management and understand that in order to play $5 SNG you need about $250 dollars, I'm going to start playing them with just $50, because the idea of playing $1 is just too daunting. I'm going to stick strictly, and I mean strictly to the articles, and charts provided by the PokerStrategy team so hopefully I will be able to make something out of it.

Now the questions:

- I'm not quite whether to use any tracking software, I've used PT3 for cash games before I'm not sure if there is any point of using it for the SNG, can anyone advise ?

- As well as that, in terms of colour coding and notes, I'm not sure what to look out for and what to make a note of.

- I'm going to play regular SNG since my bankroll is so low, I feel I can have more control over my fate. When my bankroll goes up to normal 50bi I can switch to turbo, does that sound feasible guys ?

- I'm using pokerstars $5 18man sit and goes, what are they like ?

Thanks very much, Im hoping to start my own blog soon too :)

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.
  • 8 replies
    • Bezeal
      Bezeal
      Bronze
      I will only comment on your BRM becuase im fairly new myself, and don't have anything to say about your other questions.

Personally i think 10Bi is to loose a BRM. There a variance, and you can very well be out of the money 10 SNG's in a row.
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      you will go broke.

with $50 you cant play any higher than $1 games. even the $2 games are a stretch for your BR.

even the best players will have 10BI swings DAILY. 10BI swing is completely standard and 20BI will happen very often.

you are asking to go broke by playing the 5s. Especially on the 18mans which are even higher variance than STTs.

tracking: use it. HEM is better for sngs but PT3 is better than nothing. use it for VPIP/PFR/steal/AGGf standard stuff. you need to put players on ranges and stats help a lot.

notes: note players that limp high blinds, fold getting 2:1 or better, steal a lot, fold to raises a lot.. normal note stuff.

GL
    • TimoDee
      TimoDee
      Bronze
      wow thanks guys i apprieciate it, gonna listen to your advice and play $1 on full tilt. I can't seem to decide between 9 man and 18 man, maybe any advice on that ?
    • pinnryder
      pinnryder
      Bronze
      Why don't you just deposit a few bucks and then start to play at a higher limit. Only because you get 50$ for free doesn't mean you can't deposit more and take advantage of the first deposit bonus.
      If you are multitabling it should be very easy to build your BR to move up the limits. Especially in low limit STTs the villains are extremely bad..
      If you choose to play on full tilt you will even get rakeback whcich hellps you even more with your BR....
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      i suggest STTs because they are easier to handle for beginners + less variance.

and there is more material around on playing STTs.

GL hf <3
    • TimoDee
      TimoDee
      Bronze
      Isn't a 18 man also a SnG or does it specifically apply to 9 man only ?
    • pinnryder
      pinnryder
      Bronze
      Yes it's a SnG too and plays the same as an 9 man..
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pinnryder
      Yes it's a SnG too and plays the same as an 9 man..
      a 18 man does not play the same as a 9 man. they play similar, but there are very big differences in the ranges in some spots.

you have to be much looser in an 18 man in push fold because of the top heavy payout structure and the fact that you will often be quite far away from the bubble when in pf mode.