Playing multi seat satellites

• elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      What is your approach to these MTTs that offer tickets to the top X players at the end?

If we are at the final table, i was thinking that we should:

1. If we are the big stack, we should sit back a little. At least until the bubble for the actual tickets (can pretty much discount the $$ prizes, coz they are usually so much smaller). We should avoid any confrontation with the other big stack, coz there's no reason to go for 1st place, just top X.

2. If we are short, we should be way more aggressive than usual. Since it is likely that the big stacks won't want to play too much, giving us good fold equity because of the reason above??
  • 3 replies
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      I play in these situations a fair bit with the region-specific 50 Seat Frenzy and Monthly Million Qualifiers on PartyPoker. I find that if you are shortstacked, playing in position against the other short stacks is the best way to chip yourself up. However, be wary of the big stacks because, although they don't want to double you up, they want to see you get knocked out (after all, the bubble can last for well over half an hour on these...).
      One big thing to note is that, if you're playing for say 15 seats, you should have both tables open; your one and the second table; don't go shoving if the shortie on the other table is about to be blinded out and you're going to get ITM.

Definitely sit back a bit as the big stack though, yeah. Wait til you have a monster for someone to run into, then go for the knockout. Against shoves from stacks around my size, I am calling with KK+ always. Sometimes folding KK too if there are lots of very very short players on the table(s). Too much risk with any other hands.
      You need to remember that, at this point, the only thing you are playing for is to see another player bust out; your position in the top X doesn't matter at all. So if you are short, but not the shortest, you should play if the blinds are threatening you but don't worry otherwise. Don't go shoving your 3BB with ATC if the next few people to get the blinds all have 2 or 1 or even .5 BB left :P
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      what about the earlier stages?

i'm currently playing rebuys, so it might be different.

But in general, if you pick up a relatively big stack early on, do you hold back and start waiting for the premium hands now? If yes, how big a stack do you consider big enough to start doing this?

as for accumuating chips in these rebuys, i try to limp/call speculative hands and start jamming the flop/turn if i hit. Othersiwe, i play aggressive right from the get go with the solid hands
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      I only play freerolls generally, so the strategy is somewhat different, but I don't think I tighten up THAT much if I am big stack. I am more likely to fold hands like AT AJ or mid pockets to a raise, as the last thing we want to do is double up our opponents. How many BB it takes to "sit back" is totally up to you; but it is VERY important to bear in mind that in a few minutes you won't have nearly as many big blinds as you do at the moment; it is important to keep building your stack slowly. My personal favorite way of doing this is to identify very weak/passive players on your table and bully them off their blinds, hands etc.
      I'm not sure about how rebuys work, but yeah I think that sounds about right.

I'm actually not an online MTTer by "trade" (if you can call it that :P ), I play live MTTs and just play my online ones similar, and improvise when I get stuck :P . Play speculative hands preflop then jam it in; that is exactly the way to go. Once it gets to later stages, PLAY LOOSE! You may feel like a total LAGtard but imo it is important to steal blinds fairly often instead of sitting back; the ones who sit back are the ones who you see getting blinded out for all their chips while they wait to get dealt AA. There is a lot of variance in MTTs so playing loose while you have lots of FEq is a good way of reducing variance I think.

EDIT: When I say play loose, you should still pick your targets very carefully. Raising to steal against 2 known maniacs is a good way to lose your stack. Pick the targets who have, by that stage of the tournament, decided that they are probably able to just blind out until they get ITM. Their ranges are SO tight that you can push a massive range against them profitably. (Little do most of these players know, but the bubble situations in these tournaments last for AGES, while the blinds are increasing constantly, so their super-tight play leaves them SUPER vulnerable to the blinds. By the time they realise this, it is often far too late.)