[NL2-NL10] NL5, AKo facing check/raise on a scary flop.

• Rakoth666
      Rakoth666
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $1.76
      CO:
      $5.00
      BU:
      $5.51
      SB:
      $3.85
      BB:
      $4.93
      UTG1:
      $5.39
      UTG2:
      $2.22
      MP1:
      $2.26
      MP2 (Hero):
      $9.14

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K, A.
      UTG1 raises to $0.17, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, 5 folds, UTG1 calls $0.33.

Flop: ($1.07) Q, K, Q (2 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero bets $0.50, UTG1 raises to $2.00, Hero folds, UTG1 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.57.

Good fold or not?
      Villain has a 100% cbet on a small samplesize though. I thought his check/raise was really suspicious.
  • 4 replies
    • Duudalinja
      Duudalinja
      Bronze
      I would make it a bit bigger on flop, but anyway fold it in such a situation. UTG preflop raiser raising me 4x times on flop is strong enough reason to fold it, even when having TPTK.
      It's my humble opinion, could be completely wrong.
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Duudalinja
      I would make it a bit bigger on flop, but anyway fold it in such a situation. UTG preflop raiser raising me 4x times on flop is strong enough reason to fold it, even when having TPTK.
      It's my humble opinion, could be completely wrong.
      Even so UTG checkraise on this flop looks super strong. Its reasonable to assume with 100% c-bet he will try to bluff with like some of his smaller pairs, and I think you are splitting at best against the range he does this with.
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Above points are all valid assuming UTG is a tight regular. He won't be raising draws, since he doesn't really have any, will never play TT-JJ like this, and doesn't have stuff like KJ.

The thing is - if someone's 3bet calling range is so tight that you don't want to stack off with top pair (vs UTG tag open), then you probably shouldn't 3bet.

If you 3bet AK, and the calling range is like JJ+, AK:

-It's not for value
      -On a Ax or Kx flop you get no value from worse hands.
      -When you miss (most of the time), you have very little fold equity vs better hands given the tight ranges.

On the other hand, if you just call pre, you dominate the worse Ax Kx parts of range, and can make his life a misery in general.

So in this hand, I wouldn't be folding, because I wouldn't have 3bet pre If his calling range / post flop tendencies didn't warrant it. Sorry for random answer.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by johnbeattie85
      Above points are all valid assuming UTG is a tight regular. He won't be raising draws, since he doesn't really have any, will never play TT-JJ like this, and doesn't have stuff like KJ.

The thing is - if someone's 3bet calling range is so tight that you don't want to stack off with top pair (vs UTG tag open), then you probably shouldn't 3bet.

If you 3bet AK, and the calling range is like JJ+, AK:

-It's not for value
      -On a Ax or Kx flop you get no value from worse hands.
      -When you miss (most of the time), you have very little fold equity vs better hands given the tight ranges.

On the other hand, if you just call pre, you dominate the worse Ax Kx parts of range, and can make his life a misery in general.

So in this hand, I wouldn't be folding, because I wouldn't have 3bet pre If his calling range / post flop tendencies didn't warrant it. Sorry for random answer.
      Sounds great as usual.

That said I don't really believe in following through with the plan when you realize it's flawed. If you think you made a mistake by 3-betting preflop to begin with, or even simply you don't believe villain ever does that check/raise with a worse hand even if he had called something light preflop (because it's a scary as hell flop), just folding is fine.

Hope it helps.