Quiz of the week: Playing the Calling Station Postflop out of Position

• elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      Hey PokerStrategists,

So after covering postflop play in position last week, we continue our Playing the Calling Station series of quizzes this week, with playing postflop out of position.

When dealing with a calling station, your postflop decisions make the biggest difference between extracting the maximum amount of money or barreling it into oblivion.

Playing out of position presents a unique set of challenges as compared to playing in position. Do you when to place a bet and when not to?

Test your knowledge in our newest edition of the weekly quiz:

Did you learn much from this week's quiz? Was it too hard or too easy?

Tell us about what you think, and discuss your thoughts on the quiz questions here.
  • 9 replies
    • harleytopper
      harleytopper
      Bronze
      You scored 33 out of 42 possible points. This corresponds to 79 % !

24 -34 Points:
      Well done! You know what do to out of position against such players.

Question 5:
      Check-raise (9 Points)

This is an easy board for you once again. You shouldn't give any free cards since a lot of weaker hands will call too, but as soon as someone raises you are probably behind. Bet/fold should be your line of choice.

WTF?

Something is wrong with this test.
    • vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      You're right harleytopper, it was supposed to be 0 points, not 9. Thanks for spotting that :)
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      24/36 67% but again I disagree with a couple:

question 1: the pot is unraised with are with 2 very passive players if there is a raise i imagine it will be a massive hand. Our FD is far from the nut and we could be drawing dead. we are oop as well.

1'd say c/f for a pot size bet , limit c/c for a 3/4 pot. and c/c for lower sized bet

(bet size is not mentioned in the option btw)

question 4: i just have an overpair and not the besat one either. I'm with 2 very passive players again if they bet I am often beat don't you think?

question 10: the wet board is as scary for us as it is for them. I have the initiative and am preflop aggressor. I found especially at lower limits ( have not tried it at higher limits) to be getting a lot of folding equity on a wet board. I bet as if I have something and want to protect ( but to the lower hand of the protection range 2/3pot) and b/f in case of reraise.

I also had question 12 wrong but I agree with this one :)
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      Question 5:

JcJh flop: 5d6d7d

Even against a calling station I'm not sure about a bet on this flop. It's not that I'm scared of having the worst hand but that you cannot get much value out of a bet on this flop. Here are some possible hands that each player could have

Two diamonds: about 1 in 20 for each player where you are drawing dead

KJ with K of diamonds: you are slightly better than a coin flip

87 : flipping. If they have 8 of diamonds you are 2 to 1 dog.

77: way behind

A4 with or without a diamond is pretty bad

KQ (without a diamond) you get some value

You are mostly putting money into a pot where over half the deck is a scare card against this player. The following cards come on the turn that make you want to throw up:

A, K, Q, 9, 8, 4, 3, or a diamond; count'em 31 scare cards out of 47 is about two thirds of the deck. I would keep the pot small until the turn and then bet for value. This hand is similar to a drawing hand. You are looking for one of 16 turn cards to help you. The difference is that you cannot "semi-bluff" this hand because often you are just dead. If the board wasn't so sick (say 862 all diamonds) then I would bet for value.
    • PetterG2
      PetterG2
      Bronze
      You scored 36 out of 36 possible points. This corresponds to 100 % !

Damn i'm good! :s_cool:

About question 8; Is bet/calling really a good idea (3 points are given here, same as bet/3-bet)? Although their chances of hitting a straigtflush if they are holding 8d or 9d is very limited, we have to consider that xD would scare off 2pairs-straights and that we have to protect against sets turning into FH on turn/river. The best play is bet/shove here imo.
    • armo
      armo
      Bronze
      about question 12 - if bet/broke is the optimal line then why would not check/raise get at least 1 point ?(
    • saywhat
      saywhat
      Bronze
      Should have got question 2 right, miss read it. I would never bet/raise w/ 5players, thought there was only 2 players. There goes my stack on that one.

Also agreed w/thazar on question #10. I raised sb showing str, imo, check folding just seems to weak.

Just my opinion.
    • tricky
      tricky
      Bronze
      yay 36/36

Quizmaker thinks like me :)
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      27/36.

Can I ask why I don't see much "bet/call" when this a very good line to take with certain hands in certain scenarios.