The check/mini-raise trend - wtf?!

• andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Hi guys i want to ask for some opinions about check/raising 2x your bet.

I've seen people check/mini-raise before but today it really caught my attention, i think i've seen it at least 10 times in 20 SNG's.

So... wtf is this? Does it represent strenght or weakness? It may go both ways since it's a really cheap bluff.

There was a single hand when i found out what he had: AA and he crushed me.

The most often occurence is: i raise someone calls; he checks i conti-bet; he mini-raises me. And the super donkey just outplayed me. How do you deal with this?
  • 6 replies
    • pinnryder
      pinnryder
      Bronze
      I have seen a lot of people c/r the flop with tp but often with a very weak kicker. If I get minraised on the flop and have at least tp and a good kicker, I normally reraise or push but if it is very early in the SnG I tend to call and go for pot control by checking behind the turn and calling the river if the developed alright.
      Later in the SnG I push if I get minraised.
      If you missed the flop completely you can check behind on the flop too and play poker from there. Often someone minbets then (which I would treat as a check).
      Of course you can't avoid running into a monster from time to time..

That's just my humble opinion...
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      I guess you can only call these type of bets if the "Super Donkey" has weak hands in his minraise range.

To me it represents one of two things: Trying to build the pot with a big hand or An exploratory bet to see where he is in the hand.

It's up to you to find out which type of opponent is making which type of bet !
    • Christorian
      Christorian
      Bronze
      The most often occurence is: i raise someone calls; he checks i conti-bet; he mini-raises me. And the super donkey just outplayed me. How do you deal with this?[/quote]If a donk minraises with a better hand and you fold then you have outplayed him imo.
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      the c/mini raise tilts me hard.

usually my range is so tight when they do c/min raise me i jam shove with the nuts and they fold. imo its a cheap steal because they think min-raising every cbet is profitable.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      checkminR from passive fish is always a monster
      checkminR from semiaggro donk can be anything
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      checkminR from passive fish is always a monster
      checkminR from semiaggro donk can be anything

Agree, and from some strange strange reason i tend to think agressive players do this with middle pair now - or something of that strenght.