Bryans satellites

• MAGICBRYAN
      MAGICBRYAN
      Bronze
      Hi All

In my other blog, I refered to this new blog I am starting here, detailing my entry into various satellites.

I have given up the daily grind for the time being. I will play whenever I have the time, but probably mostly evenings.

My first attempt was a small success, as it happens.

I entered a $4 +0.40 9 man sng, paying a $26 satellite ticket to the winner, and $10 to 2nd place, and I got 2nd place.

This took my BR to $62.51

I have since played a £3 +0.30, which was to give the winner a free entry into the $22 double deuce tournament, or $5 to 2nd place.

I bust out in 4th when all-in with KK against JJ, which hit a J on the river. I don't so much mind the suckout, as I am getting used to them now, but that particular player had given me serious verbal abuse in the chatbox, when I had outdrawn him earlier. It hadn't entered his stupid brain that he had let me in cheaply to hit my draw. So I really didn't want to get knocked out by him in that manner. I was looking forward to doing it to him. lol

I also played in a couple of freerolls on pokerstars, playing omaha against many thousands of others. They give you a bit of practice for free, but there are so many all-in maniacs in these things. If they don't want to play poker, why don't they just join a bingo site or something ?

Anyway, will keep you posted.

All the best
      Bryan
  • 5 replies
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hey Bryan,

Good luck with your new adventure and i wish you the best of luck mate.

Kind Regards,
      -Steve
    • MAGICBRYAN
      MAGICBRYAN
      Bronze
      Hi All

Thanks for the post Steve. To be honest mate, I probably will do a bit of grinding still. I think the thing at the moment with me is that I don't have a great deal of time to play, and grinding at microstakes can just get to feel like a waste of time when it is not happening.

I think in truth, I will enjoy just doing what I feel like doing at the time, but, rather than doing so a bit aimlesly - as I did for a while when my BR plummeted - I will have targets in mind.

I am enjoying having a go at satellites as a change (ironically, I prefer the stt sng's, which were the very things I was tiring of when grinding 4 at a time !). I like the idea of focusing on beating just a few other players to advance to a higher level, and towards a shot at a big payout.

Last night, I played a $5 +0.50 stt for one of 2 seats into the "double deuce" tourney. Unfortunately I bubbled when my short stack shove with a flush draw failed to get a spade in two cards.

However, 3rd place got me my money returned, so it ended up being a free shot.

Had I won the seat, it is a $200k guaranteed tourney with, apparently, a ist prize payout of around $30k, and of course the usual payout structure. I would still be up against a huge field I know, but it would otherwise cost me $22 to enter, so worth a shot.

Oh, and the rakeback I got from PS lastweek was more than the entry fee, so it would have been a free shot anyway, sort of..

BR = $64.11

All the best
      Bryan
    • MAGICBRYAN
      MAGICBRYAN
      Bronze
      Hi Guys

Played a PLO satellite and did spectacularly badly when my nuts hand got overtaken on the river (as nuts hands can do in Omaha). I just knew I was ahead and betted hard throughout the hand, then following a Q on the river, my opponent re-raised me. I felt there was still no way he could be ahead of me unless he held pocket QQ which would have counterfeited my nuts FH.

So being a freeroll with thousands of players, I shove all-in, and he has pocket QQ of course, leaving me exiting in the not very flattering positiuon of 4503rd or something !!

These satellites are good fun to do now and then as another tool at your disposal to take a shot at some bigger money. And the freerolls are free of course !!

I will be updating my other blogs for a wider picture of where I am at.

All the best
      Bryan
    • MAGICBRYAN
      MAGICBRYAN
      Bronze
      Hi All

Haven't done much on satellites lately, but Monday night, on a whim, I entered a $2 on Pokerstars, which had 36 entrants (a sng which starts when 36) and there were 6 seats available to the Sunday 1/4 million, with $10 + buy-in.

I was chip lead for much of the tourney, and was 2nd in chips when we hit the magic 6 remaining, and I won my seat.

I know it's not a big deal, winning a seat for $2 instead of $10, but it felt good to enter a satellite and win a seat !

I must remember to actually play it on Sunday.

All the best
      Bryan
    • MAGICBRYAN
      MAGICBRYAN
      Bronze
      Hi there,

In this post on my satellites experience, I will be relating a couple of other things not directly involving satellites, but it all ties in.

Regular readers of my blogs will recall my Pokerstrategy account is linked to Full Tilt, but I also have a bit of money in a Pokerstars account, which I sometimes relate here, even though it is not linked in any way with PS.

I do a bit of sports betting on Betfair, and sometimes play a little poker there too, as you can use the same BR as you do for your sports betting.

Anyway, I digress. I mention it because sometimes I am in the mood to play a bit of poker, but don't want to play on FT, often because I feel like playing something different, and don't want any negative results to impact on my main aim (currently playing out of my BR at 10c/25c cash games).

So it was, on Sunday, I started what turned out to be an insane day, but nonetheless profitable and a good experience. I am self employed, so have the luxury of choosing my own working hours, but have to be disciplined enough to keep the money coming in. That's where the insanity bit comes in on Sunday. I had planned to do a few hours work to earn money I could have done with.

Instead I found myself entering a $1 buy-in tourney on a whim which was a PLO tourney. I enjoy PLO and it just happened to be starting in a few minutes time. I hadn't thought it through at all. The fallout rate in PLO tends to be much slower than in NLHE and there were 1098 entrants !!

When I went deep in this tourney, I realised I could be playing for hours and still end up with no more than a few dollars in the low placings. Well when you are doing well you can't just quit a tourney can you ? Well can you ?

Over 5 hours later I was thrilled to come 6th for over $40, though my eye was on the $200 1st prize of course.

Regular readers may recall the other day I played a $2 satellite and won a seat into the $11 buy-in Sunday 1/4 million. I knew it was called the 1/4 million but thought that was because of the prize money, not the number of entrants !! ok that was a slight exagerration, but there were 33,427, and it was due to start in a half hour, and I hadn't had any dinner or gone to work !!!

A quick drive to the local chinese and back to start again, already with a slight headache from the previous 5 hours.

With 33,427 entrants the bubble was at 5401st position, and I finished a very creditable, I thought, 1884th for almost $40 (remember my original investment was $2 and I had now battled through 2 big fields).

I only had a few dollars in my Pokerstars account, hence $1 and $2 entry comps for fun. I was now at close to $100 but had a decadent day and didn't go to work at all. Absolute madness, but great fun.

The postscript is that since then I entered a $3 stt and got knocked out, then played a cash game similar to what I have been doing so well at on FT at 10c/25c (after all I have that game licked now obviously) and quite quickly blew my whole stack when I held K9 on a K94 board all my chips went in the middle in a raising war with an opponent holding 44 (ooops!). BR is now $77.94 on my stars account so still much better than it was. Fortunate that despite being a 10c/25c cash table, the particular table I was at, had a max of $12.50 that could be brought to the table. So I only lost half of what I could have lost.

Have I learnt my lesson from that and gone back to proper BR management on my FT account ? Of course not, I am enjoying myself too much.

All the best
      Bryan