Hero checks, BTN checks

RIVER ($2.65) 4:diamond: Q:heart: K:club: 8:spade: A:club:

Hero bets $1.50, BTN calls $1.50

BTN shows A:spade: 9:heart:
      (Pre 58%, Flop 4.0%, Turn 0.0%)

Hero shows K:heart: Q:club:
      (Pre 42%, Flop 96.0%, Turn 100.0%)

Hero wins $5.28

i had only 9 hands on btn but saw already something stupid and wanted to play pot with him, i don't know if isolating is good because of UTG (he turned out also weak player

what's correct plan , if we assume UTG - normal nl10 player, and BU - fish/cs

bet/bet/bet i quess
  • 7 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

There you go, bet/bet/bet ;) Don't out-think yourself too much, your hand is nutted against bad passive fish, when in doubt, BET.

Hope it helps.
    • mgrudzie
      mgrudzie
      Bronze
      and what about preflop in t his case?
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'd like the preflop call a lot more if your hand was suited, meaning you could make more nutted hands, but considering there is a fish involved it's an okay call even as played.

That said it presupposes you're able to lay down a lone top pair hand in spots where it won't be profitable for you to get involved more than once street. Say you flop a Q and donk into both players, yet UTG makes a big raise and BU coldcalls/jams. Chances are you TP2K isn't in that good a shape, and it's not the kind of spot you were looking for. Those are the spots that prevent most players from turning a profit playing those hands, because they cling to them even tho they knew they were looking for more than a top pair when they got involved preflop in the first place.

Hope it helps.
    • mgrudzie
      mgrudzie
      Bronze
      and if i hit alone Q and get only called by UTG, turn is blank , i c/c and c/f river ?
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Well if you think UTG can bet the flop into both of you and then bet the turn again when you check/call with a worse hand than KQ on Qxy then it's fine to check/call check/fold provided that doesn't leave you with too good odds on the river. Some players will bet any top pair on the turn, some will pot control them.

That said, a nl10 tag regular probably isn't opening that many hands that make a worse top pair from UTG, maybe QJs but that's about it. So unless the texture is such that he can also barrel some draws, it might not even be worth it to look him up on the turn in that spot.

Hope it helps.
    • mgrudzie
      mgrudzie
      Bronze
      another thing, many people take bet/check/bet line with ther TP hands. in this situation (I hit Q on dry flop and bet flop because of the fish) should i consider folding river ?

another thing came up for me :
      is it the best way to lead the flop if i connect ? (there is UTG TAG and BTN Fish)
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I don't really get your first question, I can't see how you get from leading top pair out of position on a dry flop against a fish + reg to folding the river, and what it has to do with the bet/check/bet line that many people take with top pair.

As for the other question, it could likely take up a whole book since it's just basic poker. Just think about what you're accomplishing against their ranges when you bet out and if it corresponds to what you what. If you bet a monster and the tag is likely to fold on a board where he would have c-bet his air it's bad, if you bet air on a board where the fish is never folding anything while having position on you it's bad, and so on.

Hope it helps.