Goldchess' poker adventures

• goldchess
      goldchess
      Bronze
      Hi everyone!

I have decided to start a blog in order to keep track of my poker career. At least it will be a place to write down what progress I am making, and hopefully keep me focused on building my bankroll.

I have been playing poker for about 4 weeks now, after discovering this wonderful website. I got my starting capital on Everest Poker, which was probably a pretty bad mistake because I hate the software, and I'm not playing on it anymore. Anyway most of my playing has been on Pokerstars, where I deposited $30 of my own money.

I was basically trying a bit of everything, to find out which formats I liked the best, and trying to read as many articles and watch as many videos as possible. To be honest, I was having limited success making any money at first (unsurprisingly I guess!). However my bankroll got boosted by accident, when I registered for a $3.40 SNG instead of the $1.20 one. I concentrated as best as I could, and even managed to win it!!

The next boost came when I got pretty bored of NL2, and decided to buy in to a NL10 game. I bought in for $3 and after an hour and a half came away with $13. I realise that this was a pretty stupid thing to do, and haven't touched it since.

Since then I have been playing as many $1.20 SNG's as possible, but have been finding them pretty hard, mainly due to the high rake negating what I believe to be a small edge that I have over the other players. Also I have been wasting the odd dollar entering big MTTs, and never making the money.

Anyway at this point my bankroll was about $55, but about 5 days ago I rediscovered the cash games, and what a joy they were to play! Sitting with a stack of 100 big blinds, there was so much more scope for interesting poker than the endless push/fold phases of the SNGs.
      I quickly found that I was beating NL2 pretty easily, and decided to move up to NL5- I know that my bankroll was way smaller than what is recommended here, but I felt very confident.

So far my adventure on this limit has been a complete success- my bankroll now stands at $96.11, and I don't think I have lost a stack yet on NL5.

The plan is to keep playing NL5, 4 tables at a time is the perfect amount for me, and hopefully I should get to $250 at some point, when I will be able to move up to NL10.

I will have time for poker this week, but starting from next week things will get busy, since I am going to France for a chess tournament, and when I get back there will be exams to study for...

Sorry for the long post, and thank you if you have made it this far!

Feel free to tell me that my blog is complete rubbish, and in the likely case that nobody wants to read it thats fine! At least it will be a place for me to look back at my poker career.

Over and Out
  • 2 replies
    • goldchess
      goldchess
      Bronze
      Quick update

As usual things don't go to plan, and I decide to play a set of 4x $3.40 SNGs
      (I know, bad bankroll management again!)
      Anyway I have a pretty sick score: 1 win and 3x 2nd

Bankroll: $119.05
    • goldchess
      goldchess
      Bronze
      The $3.40 SNGs are going really well, I feel that I can beat this limit pretty comfortably.

So far I have played a total of 29 games, with a net profit of $78.40.
      Obviously a very small sample size, but seeing the way most of my opponents play is very confidence boosting.

Bankroll: $179.05