[NL2-NL10] KQo vs. limped AJ (?)

• Trbst
      Trbst
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

Just had the following hand which puzzled me a bit...I tried to second barrel on the turn considering many players call C-bets by default, and with that in mind I was thinking about chasing him off with another bet. When he didn't give up I realized I'm prolly beat.
      Could've maybe tried to scare him off with the K of spades simulating a flush, but considering previous actions that maybe would've worked.. Whatchu think?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $9.37
      UTG2:
      $8.61
      MP1:
      $3.42
      MP2:
      $5.00
      MP3 (Hero):
      $4.44
      CO:
      $1.75
      BU:
      $3.65
      SB:
      $5.00

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K, Q.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, 3 folds, BB calls $0.15.

Flop: ($0.42) 8, 7, A (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.35, BB calls $0.35.

Turn: ($1.12) 8 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.60, BB calls $0.60.

River: ($2.32) K (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $2.32.
      Results follow:

BB shows two pairs, aces and eights(A J).
      Hero shows two pairs, kings and eights(K Q).

BB wins with two pairs, aces and eights(A J).
  • 4 replies
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      If you are going to bet again - personally I would check behind turn and bet the river if checked to. This is because there are a whole bunch of draws that he can call a turn bet with and then its really too expensive to fire again on the river.

But I don't really bet again much in this spot. This is because I think a lot of the draws will check/raise OOP - and so he probably has Ax a lot of the time - which they probably don't fold often enough.

Btw your bet on the turn isn't going to make him fold any of his range imo - even though you don't give draws the right odds I still find bad players calling this size bet anyway. I would bet like $0.85 if you bet again.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by amplifyd
      If you are going to bet again - personally I would check behind turn and bet the river if checked to. This is because there are a whole bunch of draws that he can call a turn bet with and then its really too expensive to fire again on the river.

But I don't really bet again much in this spot. This is because I think a lot of the draws will check/raise OOP - and so he probably has Ax a lot of the time - which they probably don't fold often enough.

Btw your bet on the turn isn't going to make him fold any of his range imo - even though you don't give draws the right odds I still find bad players calling this size bet anyway. I would bet like $0.85 if you bet again.
      This.

Forget about making people fold top pairs at these stakes, especially to only 2 bets, at least until you're sure villain is some kind of tight regular, and even then you'll need 3 barrels and they might end up calling sometimes anyway.

On the flop barring some read that he will peel that flop with just about any cards (which is possible but highly unlikely, players usually don't like they A all that much when they have nothing), his range is flushdraw/straightdraws/8x/7x and some slowplayed two pairs/sets once in a while. You can't make him fold any of that on the turn if he's bad, except maybe 7x and once in a blue moon a draw. It's just not worth it.

As played I don't think he's folding the river either if he's a fishy even if you make it big. If he's a tag maybe he folds AT/AJ to a decent 2/3 bet, but you'll find that they usually can't even let go of AQ (not to speak about AK on that K river) unless you stumble upon one of the better ones.

Hope it helps.
    • Trbst
      Trbst
      Bronze
      Okey, so in summary, if he calls the flop I better give up then, maybe bet the river in similar situations if I believe he'd fold ?

And thanks !
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Yes for the giving up, as for the river bet i wouldn't on that board whether you bet the turn or not.

Hope it helps.