Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $8,76
      Hero:
      $7,59

0,02/0,05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with T:heart: , 9:heart:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0,20, BU folds, SB calls $0,18, BB folds.

Flop: ($0,45) 6:heart: , 4:spade: , 7:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0,35, SB raises to $1,05, Hero calls $0,70.

Turn: ($2,55) T:club: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($2,55) K:heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $4,45, Hero raises to $6,34 (All-In), SB calls $1,89.

Final Pot: $15,23

This hand was quite interesting. His check/raise on flop was somewhat funky and I decided to call because my gs gave me few more outs plus his AF was 4. As turns out on turn my hand even improves, but I am not keen of extracting value with a med top pair plus my check might induce bluffing from him on river where my hand still has a lot of chances to improve. Now my plan was if I miss completely to see showdown as cheaply as possible, so check/call 1/3 of the pot, right line? Otherwise just fold.
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Well the only thing that bothers me in your play as it is is the river shove, since I'm not sure you should even be calling, so raising doesn't make much sense to me. The guy calls from the SB, check/raises a 764 2t board, checks the turn and suddenly decides to overbet nearly twice the pot when the flush hits on the river. He would have bet two pairs/sets on the turn, and even if he didn't, I don't get why he would overbet the flushing river with those hands. It's also hard for him to do that with a worse flush in my opinion, and even harder to do that with a complete bluff unless you have reason to believe he's really overaggressive. His fits a higher flush much better barring, spazz reads.

That said I would play that hand completely differently.

First I would just shove the flop, it's a big enough raise that villain might even consider folding stuff like the nut flushdraw given bad odds, even more so if he has a non-nut flushdraw. If he's making some information raise with 88-99 that puts him in a horrible spot too. Even if he ends up calling with those hands we have decent equity. He can also be bluffing there and giving him another chance to barrel at us when we most likely won't be able to continue on a blank turn isn't such a good idea, him just folding is much better for us.

As played I would bet the turn, like I said most players would bet again flopped strong made hands on the turn in fear of the draws, maybe he check/raises 98 there sometimes but I don't think it's likely. So most likely we're ahead of stuff like better flushdraws or 88/99 now that will call a valuebet if we make a reasonable one. $1.7 sounds ok. I don't mind you checking back that much tho it's not as important at micros to bet that turn then it is at small stakes, provided you don't make a mistake on the river when you check back.

Hope it helps.
    • TetraQuark
      TetraQuark
      Bronze
      If I knew, that he was not capable of laying down AT, AJ, AQ and AK... would that change anything? He was the type of player where TPTK was the nuts, even on river. But I agree though should ve finished that on flop, or latest turn.
      Thanks for your answers!
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'm assuming you're talking the suited hearts versions of those hands, and we're also assuming he only flats with AQ/AK preflop which is dubious considering his overall stats so far and the SBvsCO positions.

Even if he's never folding 88-99 and bigger hearts then it's certainly still ok broke because we still have decent equity against that range. He cannot have a pair higher than our 9 and a flushdraw, so either we have flush outs+some overcards outs for a flip, or we have pair outs with a gutshot for a 2:1 dog shot.

That said, against all but the most aggressive players that will just bet/call or check/shove the turn with draws still, it opens up a viable alternative in position of just calling the flop, planning to push them off a better draw on later streets. It differs widely from the current board where we picked up the likely best hand on the turn and then the flush got there on the river. Say the turn is a 2c and the river bricks off also, if your opponent checks that gives you two opportunity to fire out a bluff if you think it'll get him to go away with a bigger draw. Players tend to tell themselves on the flop "what the hell, i have the nut flushdraw anyway and two cards to come, calling it off can't be horrible", and they're right. But this changes drastically when they get to the turn and there is only one card to come, and they can't bet or call without committing themselves. Even worse when they end up with A-high on the river, they're usually not inclined to find a hero call if you bluff there.

Hope it helps.