[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH Small pair on river: check or blockbet?

• brettwilde
      brettwilde
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Rejouer la main

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      MP2 (Hero):
      $10.92
      MP3:
      $17.36
      CO:
      $11.49
      BU:
      $10.12
      SB:
      $17.36
      BB:
      $10.00

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 6, 6.
      Hero raises to $0.40, MP3 calls $0.40, 4 folds.

Hi,

I got no many stats on Vilain but he looks like LAG: 82/73/3.0/11 (vpip/pfr/af/hands).

Flop: ($0.95) T, 9, 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.60, MP3 calls $0.60.

I make a standard contibet.

Turn: ($2.15) 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.40, MP3 calls $1.40.

I think I can bet for value vs straight- or flush- draws. And I hope for getting a free showdown on river.

River: ($4.95) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $1.20, Hero calls $1.20.

I checked and Vilain minbets. I first thought: fold. But the bet is small and he can bluff a missed draw: so I called. I wonder if a blockbet is not better than a check here?

Thank you.

Final Pot: $7.35.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'd probably take the same line with something like 88 on T75 2t, but it's a bit thinner with 2 overcards to your sixes, especially against a guy who so far seems quite aggressive. Your read isn't that strong, you most likely have no idea just how often that guy is capable of raising the turn with a draw or pot-bluffing the river with busted stuff. So I wouldn't really be looking to build a huge pot with such a marginal hand out of position, I'd probably end up checking the turn.

As played on the river on the river I usually don't put players on bluffs when they bet so small but since we don't know yet if he's good or bad, it's certainly ok to look it up assuming we have a bluff-catcher, which you'll see that sometimes we don't. While regulars will indeed mostly bluff there (since they don't valuebet thin enough with one pair hands and they can't really have a stronger made hand after only calling two streets on that board), the fish will sometimes merge everything into a bet for no good reason, and valueown you with stuff like 9x. This is valuable information and most likely we're still calling the first time around, but be prepared for that possibility.

Hope it helps.