This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] Rush 99 overpair

• Magijec
      Magijec
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):
      $9.67
      SB:
      $4.32
      BB:
      $4.77
      UTG1:
      $3.17
      UTG2:
      $2.11
      MP1:
      $5.00
      MP2:
      $4.76
      MP3:
      $2.80
      CO:
      $5.00

Preflop: Hero is BU with 9, 9.
      2 folds, MP1 calls $0.05, MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.20, CO folds, Hero calls $0.20, 2 folds, MP1 calls $0.15.

Flop: ($0.67) 4, 3, 6 (3 players)
      MP1 bets $0.50, MP3 calls $0.50, Hero raises to $2.00, MP1 raises to $3.50, MP3 folds, Hero folds, MP1 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $3.17.

I am not sure how I should have played thi hand. I reraised to protect my hand against draws. MP1s range is wide, it could be set, straight, monsterdraw, maybe 77, 88, TT.
  • 4 replies
    • x3mwisp
      x3mwisp
      Black
      shove it all day long... (that's what the article says btw)
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Well since it's rush poker raise/call is likely fine, but that's why I don't like this format. It doesn't take much observation to make a better decision in that hand against a guy that seems to have bought in for 100bb and still have exactly that amount, which makes him highly likely to be a regular with autorebuy unless he just entered the game.

If we make the assumption he's some kind of rush poker FR reg, then him limp/calling from MP1 just to 3/4 pot donk that drawy flop and make a small 3-bet over a raise means he has a set there all day long, so the correct play would mostly be to just fold knowing he has a set so often it's not even worth it to verify it when even if he sometimes has a big flushdraw or 54s, we're only flipping with him at best.

But since we can't be sure about that and he could just be an idiot overplaying a naked 5x or 6x/77-88, you can't really be faulted for raising and going broke.

I'm never raise/folding, it just doesn't make much sense to me to put in $2 in there just to make sure we correctly fold the last $3.

Hope it helps.
    • x3mwisp
      x3mwisp
      Black
      Btw this spots are really hard without a read. Are u just folding here?
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Honestly I just don't like MP1's overall line seeing his stack of exactly 100bb that makes me think "autorebuy". Even if he's not some setmining nit that only has a set, if he happens to be some reg he'll have a range we're flipping/dead against, mostly sets/5x+pair/big flushdraws.

I think I'd overcall, fully knowing the turn will screw me over a bunch of times, but I expect MP1 to shutdown with draws if he misses in which case we can get the rest in against the MP3 fish, and to continue to bomb a blank turn with sets, in which case i'll just release my hand.

Just folding on the flop would be a tad weak and probably isn't mathematically correct, but it's worth noting these are the kind of spots where people end up committing 100bb with a marginally good hand just because they happen to have an overpair, when in reality the 99 will rarely hold 3-way even against two fish, and if MP1 is a setmining reg we're smoked.

Hope it helps.