Go NL5?

• 9 replies
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      I started NL5 when I had $250, but I'll say $200 should do it.

$140 I think is a bit short though, as it can't take much variance, especially full stacks. On a bad day you could easily loose 3 to 4 stacks which is about 10 BIs at NL2.
    • PetterG2
      PetterG2
      Bronze
      In my experience the most important factor when moving up is to be comfortably. If you start playing with scared money won't play your A-game and will most likely lose money. If you can lose 2-3 stacks ($10-15) without tilting and be happy about it because you got the money in good I'll say your ready to go ;)

I will recomand 25BI+ BRM for full ring and 30BI+ BRM for short handed btw.
    • harleytopper
      harleytopper
      Bronze
      140$ banroll is big enough for NL5. There isn't much if any differnce between NL2 and NL5, so if you are 4+BB/100h player on NL2 you simply will win more on NL5.

But I see big leak in your stats: 16.7 VPIP and only 4.3 PFR, optimal PFR/VPIP raito is around 75%. This is fundamental mistake, so better start using some kind of chart and/or read some articles about preflop play.
    • xero100
      xero100
      Bronze
      Originally posted by harleytopper
      140$ banroll is big enough for NL5. There isn't much if any differnce between NL2 and NL5, so if you are 4+BB/100h player on NL2 you simply will win more on NL5.

But I see big leak in your stats: 16.7 VPIP and only 4.3 PFR, optimal PFR/VPIP raito is around 75%. This is fundamental mistake, so better start using some kind of chart and/or read some articles about preflop play.
      +1 and your win rate is very low for nl2 and you should start reading
    • LonePiranha
      LonePiranha
      Bronze
      I started NL10 at $100.... Move on, if you lose move back.
    • LonePiranha
      LonePiranha
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xero100
      Originally posted by harleytopper

+1 and your win rate is very low for nl2 and you should start reading
      Lol... His winrate isn't very low at all. Plus that's pokertracker so his winrate is shown in Big Bets not Big Blinds 9BB/100 is never a low winrate at any level.

What Harley said about your PFR should really be addressed though, before the move to NL10.
    • woopstash
      woopstash
      Bronze
      As already mentioned, you really need to get the PFR a lot closer to your VPIP. As it looks now, to any opponent paying any attention (not that many are at NL2) will probably notice your raising only AJs+, AKo, 99+ (or something along those lines). This becomes very easy to play against as you progress through the levels so you may as well work on that at the cheapest level.

As for when to move up, 25BI is a good number, but like mentioned by earlier posters, do what you feel comfortable with. If you can bear to lose 3 or 4 BIs(20$) and not tilt, do it, but if you can't, maybe wait until you have 30-35BIs. Playing with scared money is not good for your game.

After working on PFR, you may want to start increasing your blind steals too, but don't be too worried about that right away. Piece by piece.

Well done so far. Good luck.
    • Grailer
      Grailer
      Global
      play short stack on NL5 , $2 buyin its better than NL2 because alot of players that limit have 40 cents

Oh yeah i forgot to mention if you are playing full stack know when to fold . I just blew $26 today on one table because i couldnt lay down 2 pair to flushes or AA AKs etc to sets .Although I did break even today I really couldve made over $50 today on 1 table at NL5 if I could lay it down .
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Grailer
      play short stack on NL5 , $2 buyin its better than NL2 because alot of players that limit have 40 cents
      What?