[NL2-NL10] Re-building confidence on the lowley NL5. Feed back on hands please.

• PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      1) I think i should of raised pre flop
      Flop play i was planning on playing a small pot but i guess with a draw i should be betting (i do find it funny how he only calls the river with the nuts though)

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $6.23
      SB:
      $5.00
      BB (Hero):
      $8.27
      MP2:
      $5.04
      MP3:
      $5.82
      CO:
      $5.00

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3, A.
      MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.05, 3 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.12) 2, K, A (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $0.16, Hero calls $0.16.

Turn: ($0.44) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, MP3 calls $0.30.

River: ($1.04) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.55, MP3 calls $0.55.

Final Pot: $2.14.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of aces(3 A).
      MP3 shows a straight, ace high(T Q).

MP3 wins with a straight, ace high(T Q).

2) Another hand i think i played as bad as bad can get. I was planning on building the pot on the turn though with any card lower than a 9.

Play hand

$0/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $10.55
      BB (Hero):
      $5.05
      MP2:
      $5.00
      MP3:
      $5.12
      CO:
      $8.75

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q, J.
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.10, BU calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.05.

Flop: ($0.3) 2, J, Q (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.30, BU folds, Hero calls $0.30.

Turn: ($0.9) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.90, Hero calls $0.90.

River: ($2.7) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.80, CO calls $1.80.

Final Pot: $6.3.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a full-house, jacks full of queens(Q J).
      CO shows two pairs, queens and jacks(Q K).

Hero wins with a full-house, jacks full of queens(Q J).

3) Yup another hand i think i played bad. Re-raise pre flop? Just a cooler after that or do you think i could re pop his raise pre flop and fold to a shove?

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $8.65
      CO:
      $6.78
      BU:
      $7.45
      SB (Hero):
      $5.09
      BB:
      $8.70

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, J.
      MP3 folds, CO calls $0.05, BU folds, Hero raises to $0.25, BB raises to $0.70, CO folds, Hero calls $0.45.

Flop: ($1.45) 8, 2, T (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $1.00, Hero raises to $4.39, BB calls $3.39.

Turn: ($10.23) Q (2 players)

River: ($10.23) 4 (2 players)

Final Pot: $10.23.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of jacks(J J).
      BB shows a pair of kings(K K).

BB wins with a pair of kings(K K).

4) Foldable to his shove on the flop? I went with it because i thought QJ, J-10 & J-9 are in his range, aswell as J-xs, A-xs etc.

Play hand

Known players:
      BU:
      $4.30
      SB:
      $3.28
      BB:
      $4.88
      MP2:
      $8.33
      MP3 (Hero):
      $8.74
      CO:
      $5.00

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K, K.
      MP2 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, 2 folds, SB calls $0.18, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.45) 6, J, 4 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.20, Hero raises to $0.65, SB raises to $3.08, Hero calls $2.43.

Turn: ($6.61) 7 (2 players)

River: ($6.61) 2 (2 players)

Final Pot: $6.61.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of kings(K K).
      SB shows three of a kind, sixs(6 6).

SB wins with three of a kind, sixs(6 6).

5) I dont see a leak here...but that doesnt mean there isnt one. Your thoughts?

Play hand

Known players:
      MP3:
      $12.29
      CO:
      $5.05
      BU:
      $5.61
      SB (Hero):
      $6.58
      BB:
      $5.14
      MP2:
      $19.23

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, 3.
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, BB raises to $0.50, Hero calls $0.30.

Flop: ($1) 2, J, 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks.

Turn: ($1) 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.60, BB calls $0.60.

River: ($2.2) 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $1.50, Hero folds, BB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $2.2.

6) I guess i should fold the river as im only calling for half the pot at best?

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $5.00
      CO:
      $5.00
      BU (Hero):
      $8.05
      SB:
      $5.34
      BB:
      $5.00

Preflop: Hero is BU with 9, 8.
      MP3 posts deadblind, MP3 checks, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.25, SB folds, BB calls $0.20, MP3 folds.

Flop: ($0.57) T, T, 9 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.35, BB calls $0.35.

Turn: ($1.27) J (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($1.27) 2 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.85, Hero calls $0.85.

Final Pot: $2.97.
      Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, tens and nines(9 8).
      BB shows two pairs, queens and tens(Q Q).

BB wins with two pairs, queens and tens(Q Q).
  • 5 replies
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Personally i think my game has deteriated ALOT the last few weeks. I was planning on having a week of to focus on other things...but that only lasted 1 day. I dont even see the point on playing my normal stakes (NL25/shots at NL50) atm...My game needs alot of work i feel. On the positive side i did read articles and watch videos all day yesterday =) I feel i may aswell play meaningless stakes until im confident im playing decently again.
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      1) I wouldn't raise preflop OOP with that hand. I think I prefer check/call on the river - and check/fold if he bets big. Cos the hands you beat on that flop are draws - where a lot missed so why not try to bluffcatch? But then again his pot bet on flop might mean he likes to bet big - and so blockbet is ok if he looks up with Kx i suppose.

2) I am raising the flop - many draws he has that will call and worse Qx etc. - then on turn I would bet/fold - betting like $0.7. And river obvs just trying to get as much as possible.

3) Either set mining or folding pre depending upon how strong I think BB is. I just really hate playing JJ OOP :D But if you think he is weak and you stack off on like this board - why not 4-bet pre (get rid of the times when there are scare cards and you have best hand)

4) Maybe, only if tight tho. I mean there are still a fair few hands you beat he can do this with so I think I would still call unless I know he is nit not raising on less than set.

5) Im guessing when you bet turn you don't think he has that much - so I would fire again on river since this river don't help him imo.

6) I would bet again on turn and give up if I don't improve.

This is just the way I would play them, might help you idk.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      1) Well the limp is pritty much dead money, so my argument for raising would be we can A) collect the dead money, or B) get called whilst been ahead of his range, although yes your right A3 wont be easy to play OOP if raised. After betting the turn i felt if i checked the river he would bet pot sized with either a better hand or a bluff. So my river bet was a block bet with intention of folding to a raise.

2) I opted to check call the flop because i wanted to give a hand like J-10 or Q-10 a chance to bet. I opted to just call as i didnt want 1 pairs folding to a check raise. By check raising im sure most J's are folding Maybe weaker Q's call but can fold to a turn bet. Turn I have more difficulty explaining what i was thinking at the time. dream card if J-10 or Q-10 are out there but there are still hands that have me beat hear so i wanted to see what developes on the river. With the river been a J I wanted to bet more, but i felt i wouldnt of got a call for much more than that.

3) I was playing for a J on the flop after he re pops it pre flop, check folding any over cards. On the flop AK AQ are also in his range here, maybe donk betting is better because atleast i dont get stacked then, either he folds, raises me then i fold. After he bets though i just felt there was enough of a chance its a c-bet with AK/AQ to justify the shove : S

4) The thing that bugs me after this hand is the size of his shove, thinking back i just dont think top pair of a draw would be over played, although at the time thats what i thought.

5) When i bet the turn im thinking he might not have anything correct, although there is still a chance he can have a pair, so i bet simpley to either take it down there or give up on the river if i get called, because the only thing i think hed call me with that i could be would be a draw, other than that he's got to have something.

6) I checked the turn because i picked up a draw and didnt want to get pushed of my hand by a raise if i bet.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

It's quite a mess to answer as many hands while taking into account the following discussions when it's all clumped up in the same thread, I'd estimate it takes me twice as much time to actually get everything done. Please try and post one hand per thread unless they are closely related somehow, even if that means you have to make 6 threads.

Originally posted by amplifyd
      1) I wouldn't raise preflop OOP with that hand. I think I prefer check/call on the river - and check/fold if he bets big. Cos the hands you beat on that flop are draws - where a lot missed so why not try to bluffcatch? But then again his pot bet on flop might mean he likes to bet big - and so blockbet is ok if he looks up with Kx i suppose.
      This, tho the preflop play is a matter of preference, I'd raise it sometimes and check it sometimes depending on how big a pain in the ass villain is postflop. I don't think there is anything with your play overall in that hand.

Make a note on the hand since he did play it quite weird all the play, not everybody overbets a gutshot when checked to, then peels it again on a double flushdraw board only to not raise the river with the nuts when he miraculously hits his hand.

2) I am raising the flop - many draws he has that will call and worse Qx etc. - then on turn I would bet/fold - betting like $0.7. And river obvs just trying to get as much as possible.
      Originally posted by PocketAcesJohn
      2) I opted to check call the flop because i wanted to give a hand like J-10 or Q-10 a chance to bet. I opted to just call as i didnt want 1 pairs folding to a check raise. By check raising im sure most J's are folding Maybe weaker Q's call but can fold to a turn bet. Turn I have more difficulty explaining what i was thinking at the time. dream card if J-10 or Q-10 are out there but there are still hands that have me beat hear so i wanted to see what developes on the river. With the river been a J I wanted to bet more, but i felt i wouldnt of got a call for much more than that.
      We're counting on people to make mistakes to get value, the most common ones here will be him checking back a top pair on the turn when he should valuebet it, and him calling a raise on the flop with a top pair, tho it's likely not a mistake against our range in general. Given our hand, we profit more from these if we force the action instead of letting it happen.

That fact that Jx hands are folding is not that relevant, they won't put any more money in on their own anyway most of the time and since you have a J yourself, it's both hard for him to improve his hand as well as for him to have a J to begin with.

Worth noting too, if you usually play higher and someone catches you just calling with QJ on that board, that means your check/raising range will be almost exclusively JT, which is going to make it extremely easy to play against your ranges.

3) Either set mining or folding pre depending upon how strong I think BB is. I just really hate playing JJ OOP :D But if you think he is weak and you stack off on like this board - why not 4-bet pre (get rid of the times when there are scare cards and you have best hand)
      3) I was playing for a J on the flop after he re pops it pre flop, check folding any over cards. On the flop AK AQ are also in his range here, maybe donk betting is better because atleast i dont get stacked then, either he folds, raises me then i fold. After he bets though i just felt there was enough of a chance its a c-bet with AK/AQ to justify the shove : S
      Like you said, he will sometimes have AQs/AK regardless, which means you won't get his entire stack every time you flop a J. Sometimes you'll end up folding the best hand on highcarded boards too, and unless he's very aggressive he won't stack with AK-high postflop. Fold preflop is BB is tight, 4-bet and call it off if somehow you found one of the (I imagine) few tags willing to 3-bet light against isoraises at nl5.

As played postflop I would usually call one bet if BB is the type to c-bet T82ddx since I don't think he would shove a worse hand on the turn on quite the ugly texture to barrel air on really, and i might just outright fold when I don't think he's betting overcards there. Even if he bets AdKd and calls it off we're not a big favorite, whereas we're huge dogs against QQ+.

Not really without further reads I'm not folding, he's a halfstacking guy who most probably is a fish and there are quite a few combos of draws for him to get aggressive with if he has a raise button, not to mention some people will actually play a J like that. I wouldn't worry about this one.

Obvious leak I see is simply calling the 3-bet preflop out of position for 100bb. A3s is going to play quite bad against a tightish 3-betting range of position, especially if you have no idea how he plays postflop it's just downright not profitable to get involved by calling.

5) I'm guessing when you bet turn you don't think he has that much - so I would fire again on river since this river don't help him imo.
      This for postflop. Provided he knows what he's doing he shouldn't have strong made hands in his checking back range on that flop, so you're mostly looking at A-high/9x sometimes Jx with no kicker that are looking to see a cheap showdown planning to call a turn bet, maybe a few % of the time he slowplays something. He will call down with Jx and own you with his slowplayed hands, but overall I think it's worth a shot to fold out the rest of his range. Even if you get called, provided he's paying attention, it'll allow you to valuebet way thinner in the future in similar spots.

As played it's really weird that he actually bet that river 3/4 pot, I won't give him credit for valuebetting even TPNK like that, and I very much doubt he'd have just called the turn with something he had intended to slowplay on the flop given just how drawy the board is getting. I might even be tempted to call that bet to see worse diamonds or a random turned gutshot.

6) I would bet again on turn and give up if I don't improve.
      I don't really like betting the turn, there is a remote possibly that our OESD is good and a likely chance that we're beat already by something like QJ, a better 9 and a few Tx. I just don't see enough value in a bet to risk getting raised off that hand.

6) I checked the turn because i picked up a draw and didnt want to get pushed of my hand by a raise if i bet.
      Oh well, agreed then.

On the river I'm not calling, truthfully that J turn improved much of the hands in his flop calling range that we were ahead of, there isn't much left he could bluff with and we don't beat anything a random nl5 player is capable of valuebetting.

Hope it helps.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Thank you for the feed back. Its great for the confidence having some feed back and outside perspective. This is the first time i've used this section of the forum. But its been most helpfully. I'll be planning to use this section more frequently when i head back to my normal stakes.

Many thanks =)