Variance is slamming me to the ground

• andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Hello guys, i want to ask you some opinions about my "situation".

The story goes like this: at the beggining i was playing NL SH and was going nowhere. I tried SNG's and they seemed easy money because of the incredible fish you find there.

So i made my way from the 2$ 10 man regular sng's to the 30$, from about 120$ to 2300$ in a few months. And then it came! Now i'm down to about 650$. Since the downswing started i acumulated about 450$ of bonuses. (this is over almost 1k games).

It happened 2 or 3 times this week to play 9 sng's and not cash in even one. A small difference is that now i play 9 tables instead of 6, but i really feel i have enough time to think about hands.

I have experimented countless bad beats and coolers (no biggie in 3 runner runner straights, 3-4 times to go all in from SB into BB and run into AA, and 3-4 hands where i dominate lost, especially in the bubble, in a single session).

I basically feel i can beat the donkeys. And that i have a decent game (i generally jump over 92% in ICM trainer), but my account goes down down down!

So, it passed my mind to try to go back to cash games, in the hope that variance will be smaller. Or should i continue with SNG's? (after all i know a thing or two about them, after playing more than 2000 and doing some reading).
  • 6 replies
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      start playing on another site, doom switch is on.. nahhh.
      but a change of environment works for me. if you are good at SNG and dont like cashgames, stick to what you like. :f_biggrin: good luck
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      2.3k -> 650 is pretty sick.

you might want to take a step back and maybe revisit your game or try something else for a while.

from my own personal experience, a lot of losses come when we're just psychologically not in the right frame of mind to play our A game after a string of losses.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Just because you have BR for a certain limit doesnt mean you have to play it. Protect your roll and drop down to a limit where you have massive edge and build some confidence. Thats what im doing atm, i felt i wasnt playing good and just couldnt win i suffered horendouse bad luck but it got to the point where more than bad luck had to be involved. So the last 2 days iv droped down from NL25/50 all the way down to NL5 (LMAO), but im starting to play well again so may move back up in a few days...You should try the same. Its important that you move down to a levle though where the mone at stake is meaningless. Then beats have no negative affect on you =) GL.
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Thanks. Well i dropped from 30$ (there's no way i played more then 50, i came down burning even though the opponents didnt' seem to be mad genius) to 10$.

Right in this moment I went all in for 7BB 3handed on the last table from SB into BB and he had AA, lol.

from my own personal experience, a lot of losses come when we're just psychologically not in the right frame of mind to play our A game after a string of losses.

I finally got pissed off and made a massive check-raise about 5-6 times the pot on a flop 5 :spade: 6 :spade: 2 :spade: holding A :spade: T 3handed with stacks about even. Enough for today! Does Kill Everyone actually help you play better? Kill Yourself sounds a little better i think...

How about going to 5$ SNG's but trying to multitable massively? (going for 24 tables in time.)
    • LonePiranha
      LonePiranha
      Bronze
      Take a few days off or risk it all in your current frame of mind. IMO.
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Take a few days off or risk it all in your current frame of mind. IMO.

I'm rarely if ever forcing BRM. There's no such thing as risking it all for me. Anyway, i ordered Moshman's NLHE HU book, figured HU SNG's have smaller variance (resembling with DON's i think), and there's got to be some bread to eat there because most nosebleeds stakes online are played HU.

Even though it won't become my primary game, there's no way HU knowledge will hurt my SNG "experience".

Point taken. No SNG's next week!