Varience in different forms of poker

• Bezeal
      Bezeal
      Bronze
      Hi all.

I wondered if the variance in poker differs from the different kinds of poker (FL, NL, SNG)?
      At the moment i play SNG's, which so far have showed me a high amount of variance. The problem is, I don't have that much time to play, mostly a few hours in the weekends. At the moment i'm doing 4 tourneys at a time, which takes around 45 min. So i can probably get around 20-30 tourneys in a week.

I would like peoples experience of variance and if you think theres a better form of poker for a player with limited time?
  • 25 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      nlhe cash
    • LonePiranha
      LonePiranha
      Bronze
      I think NL BSS is the form of poker that has the least varience. As for what you play in your limited time I guess that's really up to you.

Why not try alternating for a month until you find what you really like spending your time doing?
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      Split games have the lowest variance but also rake is high... I am not sure how high you have to play Stud Hi/Lo but I heard that to beat rake in Omaha Hi/Lo you have to be playing pretty high stakes 4/8+ or something like that I am no expert.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Why lower varriance? The higher varriance game you play, the more you can win....Fact.
    • CimkoPro
      CimkoPro
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PocketAcesJohn
      Why lower varriance? The higher varriance game you play, the more you can win....Fact.
      Your oppinion doesnt equal fact
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CimkoPro
      Its not my opinion...its a fact, at least with cash games it is...use google a little bit and educate yourself ;)
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Bezeal
      Hi all.

I wondered if the variance in poker differs from the different kinds of poker (FL, NL, SNG)?
      At the moment i play SNG's, which so far have showed me a high amount of variance. The problem is, I don't have that much time to play, mostly a few hours in the weekends. At the moment i'm doing 4 tourneys at a time, which takes around 45 min. So i can probably get around 20-30 tourneys in a week.

I would like peoples experience of variance and if you think theres a better form of poker for a player with limited time?
      Probs FR cash. Both 6-max and HU are pritty swingey.
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      I have only played PLO and NLHE, but from all the variants I played I found NLHE BSS FR to be the least swingy. You can calculate hand ranges a little more accurately and there's plenty of time to wait for good hands. I personally prefer cash games over trounaments because there's a bigger emphasis on skill, and I can start/quit whenever the hell I feel like it.

Yeah, but consecutively you can also lose more, which is the reason OP's asking for low variance formats imo.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Yeah i know, i didnt read it all the first time, i did when i came back the second time and as above gave a more suitable answer =)
    • CimkoPro
      CimkoPro
      Bronze
      Its not my opinion...its a fact, at least with cash games it is...use google a little bit and educate yourself ;)
      lower winrate=higher variance,higher winrate=lower variance and thats a fact.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      lower winrate=higher variance,higher winrate=lower variance and thats a fact.
      Higher winrates lower the varriance yes.

What im talking about is diffrent game formats IE say Full-Ring & Head's Up. Heads up has alot more varriance than Full ring, simpley because your playing a winder range of hands + Marginal hands. Despite this though Heads up players should and will see higher win rates than Full ring players.
    • CimkoPro
      CimkoPro
      Bronze
      thats short term but in long term headsup player has a lot less chance to have 50-100k hands breakeven period.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      thats short term but in long term headsup player has a lot less chance to have 50-100k hands breakeven period.
      You mean more chance right? If a full ring player broke even over 50/100k hands then there not a winning player at there limit.

Lets asume a good HU player and a good Full ring player both have enough time to play 1million hands, the good heads up player would have more profit than the full ring player....
    • CimkoPro
      CimkoPro
      Bronze
      You mean more chance right? If a full ring player broke even over 50/100k hands then there not a winning player at there limit.

Lets asume a good HU player and a good Full ring player both have enough time to play 1million hands, the good heads up player would have more profit than the full ring player....
      No i mean less chance.
      You obv dont understand variance at all.

Here is graph of good fullring player who is beating 1/2.

His biggest breakeven strech was about 100k hands(and it seems like he has no breakeven streches or downswings in that graph).

Why are you telling me the point that hu player will have bigger winrate when thats my point?
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      LMAO, i understand varriance perfectly fine thank you.

What are you trying to prove with that graph?

Your just chating S**t (no offence) but nothing your saying or claiming makes any sense!
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze

Why are you telling me the point that hu player will have bigger winrate when thats my point?
      Im telling you that because HU is higher varriance than Full ring and your claiming lower the varriance the higher your win rate. I understand perfectly fine the higher your win rate the less varriance there is. But my point also is HU is alot higher varriance game than full ring, but yet higher winrates are possible than full ring, thus higher varriance formats are more profitable. Im sorry but if you still dont agree with that then you my friend a re-tard.

I am done now, trying to get you to open up that pea sized brain of use is usless and a waste of my time.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Chill pill time imo. :)
    • MathhNes
      MathhNes
      Bronze
      Lol at the "the higher winrate the lower the variance" xD . The variance is allways the same lol, for a 10bb/100 guy a downswing can be breakeven but it he is still running 10bb/100 under EV ;)
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      AFAIK variance depends on your standard deviation which increases the looser and more aggressive you play that's why HU has bigger variance than FR.

But seriously, who gives a fuck, knowing such things wont get your bills payed.