Position problem?

• Bigniux
      Bigniux
      Bronze
      Hello,

yesterday was looking through graphs with PT3 and found these:

Playing in position graph:

and playing out of position graph:

well, i played a lot more hands out of position, but as i see from graphs, i should start paying a lot more attention to my position to improve my results?
  • 6 replies
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Position is everything.

Position is even more important than what cards you are dealt.

1st check your position, then action in front, then perhaps consider your cards.
    • Bigniux
      Bigniux
      Bronze
      Well, i knew that the position is powerful tool, but i was still playing out of position. And here it is, only one day, started to pay more attention to it, and increased my results a bit. And i found that my out of position graph was incorrect, cause it showed all my played hands, because i set the filters incorrect. So here are my results. Increase in position: from 50BB/100 to 70BB/100 (with ~200 hands, total ~950) and out of position: from -5BB/100 to -2BB/100 (~150 hands, total: ~1750). For me it's very good result, except the thing that i still play too much out of position.

Thanks for reply, Fagin, it's strange, but i just needed someone to tell this to me to understand that it's very important :)

P.S. added correct out of position graph in first post
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Hi, when you are using PT3 look at the "Position" tab - this will let you see how many hands you are playing from each position.

A quick glance at mine shows I play less than 6% of hands from UTG and about 20% from BU after 175K hands. I can look down the list and see the % of hands played decreasing from BU to UTG which IMHO is how it should be.

It also shows you how much you have won from each position and, like most TAGs I expect, I seem to win most of my money from BU (all those blind steals add up over time lol).

It is always useful to look over info such as this now and then.

Cheers
    • Bigniux
      Bigniux
      Bronze
      just took a look at these stats and from the button i played ~22% hands and the value decreases, but as i see it's still way too much, cause in UTG it reaches 13%, that's for VP$IP, but my PFR i think are also not so good, cause in all position from UTG to MP3 it's ~10% and in BU and CO ~13%, i think i should raise with less hands from early positions?

Another question is about BB position. That's most unprofitable position, loss is twice more that profit from BU. Amount of money posted as blinds: 50$, amount won: -27$, amount of money won without blinds 22$, does this means that i should protect my blinds more or is it ok? (VP$IP 16%, PFR 4%)
    • kosmonaut111
      kosmonaut111
      Bronze
      About blinds: No I dont think you need to defend more. It is normal, that you are BE or losing in BB and SB. You could add your blind defense stats also (fold BB vs steal and fold SB vs steal).

But overall: you should pay really attention to position. You can raise and call from BU very wide range, but you should fold a lot more from SB and BB. Also keep your early positions tight.

I assume you play FR, then your VPIP is a littlebit too high (or it is ok), but your PFR should be about 80%VPIP, so raise more, limp and coldcall less.
    • Bigniux
      Bigniux
      Bronze
      thanks for all your advices, it's still sometimes hard to fold some hands, but my loses aren't so big for now and also i'm trying to find good spots for 3bet steal preflop :)
      So, here are the graphs,

In position:

Out of position: