How do i start to win again lol?

• ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      i played $1 sng's and breezed through upto about $90 seemed like easy money then i started swapping one of my $1 games for a $2 so id be playing three $1 and a $2 until i got to 110-120. then i started just playing the $2 games this also seemed easy to start with soon moved up to 160ish then was breakeven for about 300 games then all of a sudden i just couldnt win anymore loss after loss after loss went down to $80 in a day so took a break for 2 days came back and played the $1 games to try and get my head back in it and halfed my BR again to $40 X(

I dont think ive been playing any differently i use the ICM trainer everytime before i start playing and score 94-96% over about 400 random hands and think i make the right decision in my games nearly everytime but just cant win need some help to get my mind right again before i blow the little bit of my BR thats left.

Thanks for any help and support
  • 7 replies
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Well in SNGs it's completely normal to observe break even lines in 1000 games and even in 2000 it is rare but far from impossible.

That's the nature of a SNG - you go to showdowns so often and are rarely a huge favorite to win. You usually are like 70:30 or 56:44. So by showdown a lot of crap can happen. In a 70:30 situation the 30% guy can easily win even 10 times in a row. In the long run you are crushing him but in 20 situations you can easily be behind by showdown.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      thanks for the reply,

i understand that and know im "winning in the long run" i just seem to be stuck on the short run. i can keep reviewing hands and telling my self i did right but its not stopping the fact that i just cant win.

Does anyone have similar stories or graphs i can look at maybe to realise that its just not me and ill get through it in the end? i keep telling myself that but having seen anything to make me believe it if that makes sense
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Some more info: your ROI in 5000 games can be as low as 2% if you're very good. It can be 5% or it can even be 8%. That's the variance in SNGs.

As for the graphs - I have had 500 games break even when I played SnGs but I delete the database.
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      I would post my sharkscope graph to show you but it doesn't tell the whole story so I'll not bother...

Basically, what you've been told already is right - I played 1K 18 man sng's on stars recently and for the first 700 was running with a 20-25% ROI all until the variance hit... Enter a 300 game losing streak and my roll cut in half. This was enough for me to give up sng's... Well, until I moved to cake and realised I still love them :s_biggrin:

If I had carried on playing 18 mans I would have been profitable, even after the 300 game downer I was still showing a 5% roi but when it happens you feel like you are no good and can't win.

If you keep playing optimally and keep learning and reviewing your play you will come good in the end. Sng's are games of small edges, it's exploiting these edges over and over again that makes you profit. It can take time and for sure there will be massive swings along the way but this is true for all forms of poker.
    • Abe1919
      Abe1919
      Bronze
      I been thru my ups and downs. I have video's that i downlaoded if i feel i'm going thru a bad patch or even playing bad i'll watch them again and again until i get my strategy right. check my graph on sharkscope if you want it's
      IchiTheKiller69 (Fulltilt) i'm about %5 ROI at the moment but it's been higher and lower. Just go with the flow..........
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      thanks everyone who has replied :D

I understand what you all mean about variance i guess you just dont realise how bad its going to be until you actually experience it for the first time. thanks for the graphs Abe i see now that its gonna be one hell of a ride on this SNG journey!!

Can anyone give me some advice on self evaluation. what do you guys do after a session? i think this is the part of my game that needs the most work im definatley not doing enough i know that but dont really know what i should be doing.

Thanks for any advice in advance
    • pinnryder
      pinnryder
      Bronze
      Do sweat sessions!