Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $14,40
      BU:
      $10,00

0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:spade: , K:club:
      MP2 folds, Hero raises to $0,40, CO folds, BU raises to $1,40, 3 folds, BU gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0,95

Is this ok to fold AK against this opponent. He had 2% 3bet and I am OOP?

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $7,25
      Hero:
      $14,00
      CO:
      $10,55

0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K:spade: , A:heart:
      Hero raises to $0,40, MP3 folds, CO calls $0,40, 2 folds, BB calls $0,30.

Flop: ($1,25) 4:heart: , K:diamond: , 3:heart: (3 players)
      BB bets $0,40, Hero raises to $2,00, CO calls $2,00, BB calls $1,60.

Turn: ($7,25) 9:club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $11,60 (All-In), CO calls $8,15 (All-In), BB folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

River: ($23,55) 4:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $23,55

Exact next hand against same opponent.
      At the flop I reraise for protection. At the turn I decide to push because I want to protect and if I bet 5.50 or something I have only 2.70 for the river and that is not good.
  • 2 replies
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Hand 1 is standard.

Hand 2...

Flop raise, you said it's for "protection", but that's not a reason for raising. It's an outcome from raising, but not a reason. You should think of your flop raise as a raise for value or as a bluff. In this case it's for value.

"At the turn I decide to push because I want to protect and if I bet 5.50 or something I have only 2.70 for the river and that is not good."

Kind of don't like this though process. Pushing to protect is bad, either push as a bluff or for value. Kind of hard to find much value in it after called twice by the tight CO. You'd expect him to raise things like sets but he could be slowplaying with the fish in the hand, he could easily have KQhh or KJhh here also so it's kinda tough.

So with that in mind, I like betting the turn for $5.50. Even if it seems bad for the river the fish is likely to call any amount that wont put him all in on the turn with his gutshots + flushdraws and any other draws they may have.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by SheepMoose
      Hand 1 is standard.

Hand 2...

Flop raise, you said it's for "protection", but that's not a reason for raising. It's an outcome from raising, but not a reason. You should think of your flop raise as a raise for value or as a bluff. In this case it's for value.

"At the turn I decide to push because I want to protect and if I bet 5.50 or something I have only 2.70 for the river and that is not good."

Kind of don't like this though process. Pushing to protect is bad, either push as a bluff or for value. Kind of hard to find much value in it after called twice by the tight CO. You'd expect him to raise things like sets but he could be slowplaying with the fish in the hand, he could easily have KQhh or KJhh here also so it's kinda tough.

So with that in mind, I like betting the turn for $5.50. Even if it seems bad for the river the fish is likely to call any amount that wont put him all in on the turn with his gutshots + flushdraws and any other draws they may have.
      Sounds good. CO's coldcall on the flop is dead-scary, but we don't know he's good/nitty enough to fold worse Kx and draws there, so with these possibilities in mind we can't just give up on the turn with the fish still in the hand. I'd bet $5 and reluctantly call the rest off against CO.

Hope it helps.