[NL2-NL10] NL10: QQ on nightmare board

• Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)        
      Position:
      Stack
      CO:
      $16,81
      Hero:
      $9

0,05/0,10 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.8 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q:spade: , Q:club:
      UTG calls $0,10, 5 folds, CO raises to $0,50, BU folds, Hero raises to $1,50, 2 folds, CO calls $1,00.

Flop: ($3,20) K:diamond: , 7:diamond: , A:club: (2 players)
      Hero ?

Cont bet (2,5-3$) or check?
  • 9 replies
    • rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Silver
      Hi

I would give up cbet here after his raise pre flop.
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      I have the initiative - I reraised him, in case you mixed up the action :) (sorry to point this out, if you didn't)

Other thoughts?
    • rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Silver
      I know. I mean I woudnt cbet here. On the other hand his raise from late position might be a steel attempt. U showed allot of strength preflop, so u got good fold equity against everything except AK+. Tough decision.
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      I dont think I would contibet here, to me it would seem that we're behind his range of hands. Ofc it depends on how loose he is, but all in all I think I would check the flop here. Im a bit unsure of how to proceed after that though, is check/fold too weak? And the thing about check/calling is that you dont know where you stand. Or is a contibet of ca 2/3 pot here and fold to a raise since then you probably know where you stand?
      Oh well, I think I wouldve gone with the "no contibet" here as I said.
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      Raise more preflop (you have a very strong hand but would prefer not to have to play out of position, picking it up preflop is a good result) and cbet this every time ($2 is fine as played) without a special read. Sadly, you're not getting many better hands to fold (some kings, maybe a weak ace depending on the player... another pair of queens, but that's hardly worth counting), but you're going to suffer in any further postflop betting.
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      Ah yeah it did feel quite weak to check (Ive tried to not be overly aggressive as that was my biggest leak some time ago). But whatever. How much would you have reraised preflop howard? $2? And how big would you have made the contibet in that case? around $2.50?
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      I'd personally raise to $2 preflop and cbet $3 (there's no special significance for this number, I'm aiming for around 2/3 pot but feel that going below the obvious round figure to get closer to it is likely to be interpreted as weakness, but that's basically just a superstition, I have nothing to back it up).
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      Thanks.. will try to remember to bet a bit more pf when OOP.. ended up checking here I must admit.. probably too weak but will try betting out next time instead :)

Thanks alot for the inputs all
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Mugge88!

I agree with howard concerning the preflop reraise. Oop it's often better to bet a bit more to take down the pot right away.
      Concerning the continuation bet it's really difficult and depends on your opponent as well as on your image. If you have a tight image and your opponent is loose it's a c-bet because you can easily represent AK. If it is the other way round I would not make a c-bet.
      In situations where it is not that clear I like to vary my play meaning that I sometimes make a c-bet and sometimes I don't do it. This way you are able to disguise your style of play.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81