This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] Can't fold, even though I know I'm dead

• pokerhelten
      pokerhelten
      Bronze
      Raising UTG, reraise in the face. Felt already here that I was dead. Obv, I had to call even though a raise might have been the "right" play.
      On the flop I decided to check to see if he contbetted which he would do 70% in this situation I think. He did, and I had to reraise. When he comes over the top I know I must be behind, however I convince myself to call. Any opinions and/or advices for me? Kthnx :) [

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      MP1 (Hero):
      $17.03
      MP2:
      $9.07
      MP3:
      $21.61
      CO:
      $8.68
      BU:
      $4.07
      SB:
      $10.00
      BB:
      $5.64

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q, Q.
      Hero raises to $0.40, MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $1.30, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.90.

Flop: ($2.75) 2, 3, T (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $2.45, Hero raises to $6.66, MP3 raises to $10.87, Hero raises to $15.73, MP3 calls $4.86.

Turn: ($34.21) 8 (2 players)

River: ($34.21) 4 (2 players)

Final Pot: $34.21.

Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of queens(Qs Qc).
      MP3 shows a pair of kings(Kc Kd).

MP3 wins with a pair of kings(Kc Kd).
  • 3 replies
    • Lizocain
      Lizocain
      Bronze
      same problem i got as you, it used to happends, except i either call for set value and fold if it doesnt come, or go broke if he is under 100bb stack..still cant decide how to play if its 200bb+ stacks both players. (without stats or history)
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      start thinking about ranges more than your own holdings, and this problem will be solved.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Just because it's QQ doesn't mean it's good if villain never even has AK there. I doubt most people show up with JJ-TT from those positions deep. Calling is fine for set value with those stacks it's a cool spot if villain is really tight, because when you hit you stack KK+.

On the flop either if he has AK and you're ahead but he won't call a raise, or he has QQ+ and you're smoked. There is no point in raising. Even if you wanted to put TT-JJ in his range, on this board TT beats you and there are twice as many combos of KK+ than JJ, not even taking into account the fact that he's way more likely to 3-bet KK+ than JJ to begin with. So check/raising the flop with 170bb stacks is just senseless and asking for trouble against everyone but the most aggressive fish. Just check/call once if you think he can have AK and usually if he bombs the turn again you're no good.

Hope it helps.