[NL2-NL10] Can't fold, even though I know I'm dead

• pokerhelten
      Raising UTG, reraise in the face. Felt already here that I was dead. Obv, I had to call even though a raise might have been the "right" play.
      On the flop I decided to check to see if he contbetted which he would do 70% in this situation I think. He did, and I had to reraise. When he comes over the top I know I must be behind, however I convince myself to call. Any opinions and/or advices for me? Kthnx :) [

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      MP1 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q, Q.
      Hero raises to $0.40, MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $1.30, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.90.

Flop: ($2.75) 2, 3, T (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $2.45, Hero raises to $6.66, MP3 raises to $10.87, Hero raises to $15.73, MP3 calls $4.86.

Turn: ($34.21) 8 (2 players)

River: ($34.21) 4 (2 players)

Final Pot: $34.21.

Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of queens(Qs Qc).
      MP3 shows a pair of kings(Kc Kd).

MP3 wins with a pair of kings(Kc Kd).
  • 3 replies
    • Lizocain
      same problem i got as you, it used to happends, except i either call for set value and fold if it doesnt come, or go broke if he is under 100bb stack..still cant decide how to play if its 200bb+ stacks both players. (without stats or history)
    • SheepMoose
      start thinking about ranges more than your own holdings, and this problem will be solved.
    • MaestroOfZerg

Just because it's QQ doesn't mean it's good if villain never even has AK there. I doubt most people show up with JJ-TT from those positions deep. Calling is fine for set value with those stacks it's a cool spot if villain is really tight, because when you hit you stack KK+.

On the flop either if he has AK and you're ahead but he won't call a raise, or he has QQ+ and you're smoked. There is no point in raising. Even if you wanted to put TT-JJ in his range, on this board TT beats you and there are twice as many combos of KK+ than JJ, not even taking into account the fact that he's way more likely to 3-bet KK+ than JJ to begin with. So check/raising the flop with 170bb stacks is just senseless and asking for trouble against everyone but the most aggressive fish. Just check/call once if you think he can have AK and usually if he bombs the turn again you're no good.

Hope it helps.