use of FTP, Academy points and medals

• vedran2006
      vedran2006
      Bronze
      Hi,

I have seen some threads about this topic, but still am not sure if understand correctly.

So if i use FTPs i lose rakeback, that is ok.
      But if i use academy points, or medals on let's say bonus cash ($) does this also affect rakeback and in what way. What i mean is if i get 100$ bonus how much of rake back i will lose.

I also have seen in other topic, that tournament tokens should not affect rake back. Is this true?

In the end please if somebody can advise what is the best way to spend some 10000 academy point (or should i earn more and then spend) and for medals i just have them 140 yet. how much should i earn until considering spending in your opinion.

thanks.

V.
  • 12 replies
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi vedran2006,

I think all of your questions are covered in the following sticky thread:

But to summarise (from memory), all spending of ftp points, ironman medals & academy credits will be deducted from your net earned rake and therefore affect your rakeback, except purchase of tournament tokens.

When you purchase a tournament token, you are also buying the tournament fee, e.g. $24+2 or $69+6. As such these are not deducted from your net earned rake.

Some members, myself included, have found that some bonuses (like mid/end year) and some medal/credit spends have not affected rakeback, however the official line from Full Tilt is that everything (except tournament tokens) will be deducted.

If you assume that any purchase will cost you approx 27% of it's value in rakeback you won't go far wrong.

Any problems, drop a reply in the Rakeback FAQ thread and will be happy to help.

Best regards,

Bart
    • vedran2006
      vedran2006
      Bronze
      thanks a lot for your help.
    • AleksKMA
      AleksKMA
      Bronze
      Anyone care to chime in on whats the best use for all of these "rewards"?

I've recently started playing pretty consistently, I think grinding is the term used, call it 5k+ hands a day NL10.

Made iron last month in my first attempt and got some of the 500+ftp days for bonus medals. I've also been playing a ton since Take 2 started to take advantage of extra FTPs and should reach Iron again this month as I've already hit 200 a day everyday so far this month.

Just curious what people think is the best way to use FTPs, Academy credits and ironman medals. I've been thinking maybe I should just use them to buy gifts for people, most of the stuff is geared towards males anyway and I wouldn't be caught dead wearing the womens stuff lol.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Personally speaking I've always tended to purchase bonuses, afterall there's nothing better than getting a free bankroll boost.

Each to their own though, some members I know prefer to purchase tournament tokens and use them to gain extra cash and/or entries into big tournaments that are usually outside of their BRM. Others may prefer to buy the poker books, clothing etc.

I did trade in some medals for the Ironman 3-in-1 jacket/fleece and it's actually very good quality. Still wear it today. Of course it is Full Tilt/Ironman branded, but I personally don't mind as I like Full Tilt a lot, they've been really good to me over the last couple of years.

Bart
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EagleStar88
      I did trade in some medals for the Ironman 3-in-1 jacket/fleece and it's actually very good quality. Still wear it today. Of course it is Full Tilt/Ironman branded, but I personally don't mind as I like Full Tilt a lot, they've been really good to me over the last couple of years.
      Sorry for the hijack, but having just donated my $100 bonus to my new friends at the tables I was considering getting the jacket with my next tranche of points just to have something tangible to show for my efforts. Winter is coming here and it looks like a pretty decent piece of couture. Good to get a bit of reliable feedback on it!

Ofc, if you play $.50/$1 - $1/$2 on FTP you probably should be disappointed to hear this...
    • vedran2006
      vedran2006
      Bronze
      i bought 26$ token and played matrix SNG as suggested by somebody on other forum.
      this was my first matrix turbo, and i must say i don't know if it was luck or players are just bad, but i easily won one table, second on other, and was overall winner.
      so i made 26$ into 52$ ipretty easily.

problem with this tournament is that it is very fast, and luck plays really big role. i think i was pretty lucky this time.
    • antonio47211
      antonio47211
      Bronze
      How do you buy bonuses / tournament tokens with full tilt points? Or is it academy points you're talking about?
    • peche025
      peche025
      Bronze
      'Purchasing $26 & $75 Tournament Tokens using IronMan Medals or Academy Credits do not affect rakeback'

Other purchases does so I think tokens are the way to go.

peche
    • vedran2006
      vedran2006
      Bronze
      antonio. for tokens i am speaking about academy and medals.
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      Did they remove tokens from Academy store? Can't seem to find them today...
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jackalof
      Did they remove tokens from Academy store? Can't seem to find them today...
      There is my academy store under bonuses.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AleksKMA
      Anyone care to chime in on whats the best use for all of these "rewards"?
      The important thing to remember is that you still have to pay for it in rakeback deductions. So you can buy into a $26 tournament for a cost of about $7. For me that's still -EV, but if you are good a tournament poker it can be very profitable over the long run.