This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] Flopped set against FD.

• aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)
      MP3:
      $33.95
      CO:
      $5
      BU:
      $27.37
      UTG+2:
      $25.58
      Hero:
      $24.40
      SB:
      $25.70
      MP2:
      $24.65
      BB:
      $11.29

0.10/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.8 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 5:diamond: , 5:heart:
      UTG+2 folds, Hero calls $0.25, MP2 raises to $1.25, 5 folds, Hero calls $1.00

Called preflop raise for set value, flopped set. How to play on this board? Should I push the flop here for protection, and how to deal with this turn bet?

Flop: ($2.85) T:spade: , 5:spade: , 6:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $2, Hero raises to $4.00, MP2 raises to $7.25, Hero calls $3.25.

Turn: ($17.35) 2:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $12, Hero ?
  • 8 replies
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      As a FL player I would raise 6$+ on the flop and push to the 3-bet. I think it has the most value to be allin as soon as possible if he gives you action. (Feel free to ignore a FL player. *g*)
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      I would never ignore you ciRith. You'd make a great NL player, by the way, so why don't you come over to the dark side? You'll never go back. ;)

Given his preflop raising range, I don't think that he has a set, unless its Tens. More likely an overpair. So, getting all in on the flop would be a good move here, you think? What does his flop min re-raise signify?
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi aciddrop!

Only a flush beats you which is unlikely because of his preflop raise (maybe AK:spade:) . Even if you are behind you have many outs to your full house so get the money in on the flop! :D

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Knowing the result, which was that he had the flush, holding KQs, I'm looking again at the min reraise on the flop. I obviously must call this, but I'm wondering if this move is just encouragement for me to keep betting. I didn't consider that possibility at the time, thinking it more likely that he was drawing to the flush, so I went broke. But that would be no shame here I guess. I still did have the 7 outs on the flop, 10 on the turn, so I guess pushing the flop would have given me more fold equity? I think I might keep this move in mind for the future.
    • Gungunhana
      Gungunhana
      Bronze
      Hi guys...
      I only dare to get into this , to learn, being a rookie as I am.

The vilain pf raise, to me , indicates a good chance of TT, AJs+, or KQs, among others.
      Wouldn´t a call on the flop and c/f on the turn be a better move?
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      I happily raised the flop, because I have my set, and I presume he has a good hand. Possibly an overpair, AA, KK perhaps. A flopped flush is unlikely, but a draw is a distinct possibility. I should probably have raised more on the flop to try to protect against the FD.

As played, his flop reaction may be a good warning sign that he doesn't fear much. Reraising such a small amount means that he doesn't want me to go away. This could be a good indication that his hand is well made, and the flush must be a consideration in that circumstance. Not that I did consider it at the time, mind you. :rolleyes: In any case, it is probably a mistake as well, because it allows me to continue cheaply, and he certainly would have regretted it had I made my boat.

Thinking for the future, I will remember this move, and watch for it in similar circumstances. On the turn here, I don't actually have the odds to continue, if I assess that he does have the flush.
    • Gungunhana
      Gungunhana
      Bronze
      OK,
      thank for your answer
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      No worries, and that is only my opinion, by the way. I haven't yet completed 12 months at this, so I am still learning heaps.