[NL2-NL10] Flopped set against FD.

• aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)
      MP3:
      $33.95
      CO:
      $5
      BU:
      $27.37
      UTG+2:
      $25.58
      Hero:
      $24.40
      SB:
      $25.70
      MP2:
      $24.65
      BB:
      $11.29

0.10/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.8 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 5:diamond: , 5:heart:
      UTG+2 folds, Hero calls $0.25, MP2 raises to $1.25, 5 folds, Hero calls $1.00

Called preflop raise for set value, flopped set. How to play on this board? Should I push the flop here for protection, and how to deal with this turn bet?

Flop: ($2.85) T:spade: , 5:spade: , 6:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $2, Hero raises to $4.00, MP2 raises to $7.25, Hero calls $3.25.

Turn: ($17.35) 2:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $12, Hero ?
  • 8 replies
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      As a FL player I would raise 6$+ on the flop and push to the 3-bet. I think it has the most value to be allin as soon as possible if he gives you action. (Feel free to ignore a FL player. *g*)
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      I would never ignore you ciRith. You'd make a great NL player, by the way, so why don't you come over to the dark side? You'll never go back. ;)

Given his preflop raising range, I don't think that he has a set, unless its Tens. More likely an overpair. So, getting all in on the flop would be a good move here, you think? What does his flop min re-raise signify?
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi aciddrop!

Only a flush beats you which is unlikely because of his preflop raise (maybe AK:spade:) . Even if you are behind you have many outs to your full house so get the money in on the flop! :D

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Knowing the result, which was that he had the flush, holding KQs, I'm looking again at the min reraise on the flop. I obviously must call this, but I'm wondering if this move is just encouragement for me to keep betting. I didn't consider that possibility at the time, thinking it more likely that he was drawing to the flush, so I went broke. But that would be no shame here I guess. I still did have the 7 outs on the flop, 10 on the turn, so I guess pushing the flop would have given me more fold equity? I think I might keep this move in mind for the future.
    • Gungunhana
      Gungunhana
      Bronze
      Hi guys...
      I only dare to get into this , to learn, being a rookie as I am.

The vilain pf raise, to me , indicates a good chance of TT, AJs+, or KQs, among others.
      Wouldn´t a call on the flop and c/f on the turn be a better move?
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      I happily raised the flop, because I have my set, and I presume he has a good hand. Possibly an overpair, AA, KK perhaps. A flopped flush is unlikely, but a draw is a distinct possibility. I should probably have raised more on the flop to try to protect against the FD.

As played, his flop reaction may be a good warning sign that he doesn't fear much. Reraising such a small amount means that he doesn't want me to go away. This could be a good indication that his hand is well made, and the flush must be a consideration in that circumstance. Not that I did consider it at the time, mind you. :rolleyes: In any case, it is probably a mistake as well, because it allows me to continue cheaply, and he certainly would have regretted it had I made my boat.

Thinking for the future, I will remember this move, and watch for it in similar circumstances. On the turn here, I don't actually have the odds to continue, if I assess that he does have the flush.
    • Gungunhana
      Gungunhana
      Bronze
      OK,
      thank for your answer
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      No worries, and that is only my opinion, by the way. I haven't yet completed 12 months at this, so I am still learning heaps.